1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

XR is fascinating.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SEBREGIS, Apr 22, 2019.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I’m really in two minds about XR.

1) It’s great to see young people so engaged with a serious issue. Our planet is dying - or more accurately being murdered - and they are trying to stop it. They are passionate and angry - and they have a right to be. No, this isn’t going to stop the Chinese or the Americans from polluting the environment but perhaps this could become a world movement? Polite arguement and debate have left us with a situation where technically, we may already be dead, we just don’t know it.

2) The arguements are really complex and teenagers only have an emotional grasp of them. They can quote slogans and recite dodgy statistics but the underlying argument is far more complicated. Furthermore, this is a very infantile, first world response to issues that we are already doing our best with. Blocking streets in London does nothing except waste police time and resources, and it’s not going to do anything to solve the global problem. And a huge majority of the ‘protestors are really no different to the youths who took part in the riots about ten years ago - just going along with the crowd. Fortunately, the Easter holidays are nearly over and they all have exams coming up so that will be the end of it.

Really not sure where I stand. Probably closer to the latter, if I’m honest. But on the other hand, if we don’t sort out climate change we’re all going to die, so I see their point and although I’m British, I think there comes a time where one has to say ‘mind how you go’ and ‘down with this sort of thing’ quite loudly..

What do others think?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Fear of death is futile, in the long run we are all dead while prolonging life is half the problem.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is this like VAR ?

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No, it's not that bad.

It is a global movement

It is not just children. There are plenty of academics and professionals involved.

It is bringing the issues to the fore. Once people understand the situation, they can take decisions (or not) to help, such as eating less meat, flying less, consuming less etc.

Some will, while for many life will simply become increasingly difficult and unpleasant. There will be a lot of distress, upheaval and conflict if we do not take appropriate action. It is already too late to stop some of the effects of the warming that has already happened.

It is easy to criticise but this has been coming for a long, long time. Maybe we will sort things out. maybe we won't, but it is time to do something.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Climate Change is a myth - ask Lexus.

6. needabreak

Quite, so the question should be what are we doing... Perhaps we need a poll with list of things that can be done so we can see who's cycling, recycling, up cycling, growing their own, and using greener energy +++...

7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Exactly how I feel in my classroom every day....

mothorchid and sparkleghirl like this.
  8. needabreak

Oh dear.

9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

How do you define 'planet' then 'dying' & 'murder' in relation to this?

How so?

10. Scintillant

If you want to help out:

try not to fly
    eat less meat or adopt a plant-based diet
    go vegan if you can
    insulate your home as best you can
    drive less, walk and cycle more
    grow food if you can
    reduce use of plastic
    try not to buy food with air miles
    use more LED bulbs
    consume less
    recycle and reuse
    compost food waste if possible
    get electricity from companies using 100% renewables
    spread the message

hplovegame48 likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

My concern is their call to overthrow our economy & government. I do not trust that these people have an interest in ecology further than I can throw them.

12. needabreak

Boxes ticked... Now what?

13. Scintillant

https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/demands/

Extinction Rebellion is an international apolitical network using non-violent direct action to persuade governments to act on the Climate and Ecological Emergency.

1. Tell the truth
      Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
    2. Act Now
      Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025
    3. Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice
    At the bottom of the page are links to possible solutions. All involve working with governments and not overthrowing or replacing them,

14. Vince_Ulam

Grow a beard, dye it, start wearing clown-tights and lecture people at every opportunity about how we are all doomed if we do not dismantle our economy & government.

15. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  16. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Sorry wrong video. This is what it should be.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

All nice and non-threatening pabulum for middle-class consumption, but if you watch what these people say in interviews and between themselves, look at their histories, then you get the rounded picture. These people are at their heart anarchists who wish for the overthrow of our economy and democratic system. They have been working through one movement after another for many years, building their networks and sowing dissent, and this eco-stance is simply their latest gambit.

We can make necessary changes but to accede to the demands of these people, their literal demands, is to cut our own throats. They want power, they do not care about the issues they mouth, nor do they care about people.

18. Scintillant

All of them?
    Half of them?
    1% of them?
    The few who search out cameras?

The XR movement is committed to working with governments. Yes, there are some idiots, that's people for you.

19. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Well - our current economic and political system is working so well, I can't see any reason we might want to change it.

Oh - hang on...

We've had hundreds of years of thinking the same way. Allowing business to run the country through the sham of a democratic system, where the media influences ignorant people to vote through fear.

We're now entering a phase in our history where we have a whole set of different challenges to deal with. Climate change, mass unemployment brought by technological innovation, global communication on an unprecedented scale. I'm wearing clothes made in one country, eating food grown in another, working with colleagues on the other side of the Atlantic. And I like all that. But I want to do it fairly and in a way that my children and their children can do the same.

Which of our current political parties can deliver that?

So perhaps it's time we stop rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic and started looking at some more far reaching changes to how we do things?

20. Vince_Ulam

Those who devise & organise, obviously.

In the sense that it wishes to select 'assemblies' with power over government.

Mr. Kelsey-Fry is one of the chief figures within this group.