1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

XR Education in protest at DfE

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Maths_Shed, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

2. Maths_Shed

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yup... when I taught Geography and Science [I'm very talented you know] I loved the lessons where I knowingly lied about climate change to the kids... how we laughed it up in 'Evil Conspiracist Teachers inc.' meetings as we counted our dirty dirty oil money.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No one has said you haven't taught the facts about climate change etc

They are saying that it should be taught to all children.

Which it should.

5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

They'll need me to return to the chalkface otherwise they'll get someone giving them false hope and spinning it out over three lectures.

It's the beginning of a great adventure.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If returning to the England of my grandparents is either great or an adventure.

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

1. Policy must be informed and instructed by ordinary people via a Citizens’ Assembly and we must hear the voices of young people whose future now hangs in the balance.
    Am I the only person who was alarmed by this part. The scenes of mob action, simplistic understanding come to mind.
    I’d prefer policy to be informed by serious consideration of what experts say - people who have studied for years , researched, measured etc,

This clause smacks of , who shouts loudest wins

phlogiston, Kandahar and lanokia like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We live in the age of the squeaky wheel

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Maths_Shed

With the prospect of environmental collapse, food shortages, violence, wars and disease, why would the education of the people running the country be alarming? People like that have got us to where we are.

10. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

And people like you have cost the tax payer in excess of £37 million through your childish antics so far.

11. Scintillant

If climate change is addressed sooner rather than later, thanks to the "childish antics" of such people, then they may have saved us untold millions already...

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I thought it was.
    Part of the problem was people not listening when I taught the stuff. Govey's curriculum changes didn't help.
    We have already made a lot of changes and a country. There's a lot more renewable energy now - would have been more if Cameron's lot hadn't slashed the fees in tariffs for solar power.
    It's a lot easier to go and yell on the street than to learn that dealing with climate change means making sacrifices yourself.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On the other hand... radio carried a report today about a government funded energy storage project using wind to compress air into liquid air and then reheating at night when energy was needed to supply 55000 homes.

And while Cameron's cuts on solar were unfortunate they were necessitated by Labour's profligacy while in office.

14. Scintillant

It is in the National Curriculum

.....which academies and free schools do not have to follow.

15. Maths_Shed

Scintillant likes this.
  16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The real tragedy is that the generation presently in primary school won't be the last unless we teach them to stop producing more of our species.

Of course talking to the kids is just sidestepping the necessity of destroying ourselves. We need to take courage and finish ourselves off now.

More do as we do and not do as we say.

Lead by example. No more kids and kill ourselves. It's the only hope for the other species. The planet will be alright.

Deal with the cause and not the effect.

I'll go first to avoid the carnage.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Another one who believes other people's carbon emissions are our fault. So it's just an excuse to be anti-western really... not about the environment at all...

Kandahar likes this.
  18. Maths_Shed

No, in the same way as you refuse to accept it's about consumption of resources and not population size, you are refusing to accept it's about consumption and not where the goods are produced.

Scintillant likes this.
  19. Scintillant

Another ridiculously simple view of things.

Accounting for outsourced emissions is precisely how experts in carbon budgets say emissions should be totalled. It has been a thing for a decade at least.

Britain now G7's biggest net importer of CO2 emissions per capita, says ONS Fall in UK-produced emissions has been offset by those from increase in imported products

It doesn't matter where the emissions come from, they have the same effect. Demand needs to reduce. To view this as "anti-western" or to see at as "other people's emissions" is just wrong.

From 2011:
    Government should be open about 'outsourced emissions' according to Committee

The MPs warn that:

• UK's record on cutting greenhouse gases is not as good as DECC figures suggest
    • Carbon dioxide emissions from imported goods consumed in the UK are going up faster than Government is cutting CO2 at home
    • Government figures on consumption-based emissions - from imported goods - show that carbon dioxide emissions in 2009 were 20% higher than in 1990.
    Tim Yeo MP, Chair of the Energy and Climate Change Committee, said:

"Successive governments have claimed to be cutting climate-changing emissions, but in fact a lot of pollution has simply been outsourced overseas.The Department for Energy and Climate Change likes to argue that the UK is only responsible for 2% of the world's CO2 emissions, but the Government’s own research shows this not to be the case.We get through more consumer goods than ever before in the UK and this is pushing up emissions in manufacturing countries like China."

We need to reduce consumption.