1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Xmas Fun Activity (GCSE Computing)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by rubikwizard, Dec 13, 2011.

1. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

Hi
    I have made a 'fun' activity for my GCSE Computing class for the image representation section. If anyone would like to use it you can download it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10388345/BitmapActivity.xlsx
    It is a spreadsheet with two tasks (see the separate tabs). The first task

(tab) is to design a festive monochrome image by entering denary values.

(Answers on a postcard for anyone who can figure out where my initial sample
    image came from!!!!) and the second (tab) is to construct a multi colour
    image from a series of given byte values.
    Hopefully it will work with the class and I hope it might be of use to

others here.

2. rubikwizard

Hi
    I have made a 'fun' activity for my GCSE Computing class for the image representation section. If anyone would like to use it you can download it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10388345/BitmapActivity.xlsx
    It is a spreadsheet with two tasks (see the separate tabs). The first task

(tab) is to design a festive monochrome image by entering denary values.

(Answers on a postcard for anyone who can figure out where my initial sample
    image came from!!!!) and the second (tab) is to construct a multi colour
    image from a series of given byte values.
    Hopefully it will work with the class and I hope it might be of use to

others here.

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Thanks for sharing. Not a topic I've covered yet and I'm not too familiar with the colour one so can you explain how that works please.

4. Chad78

Chad78 New commenter

Excellent, thank you!

5. If you look at the first 4 blocks on the colour sheet (white, black, black, black) and use the key on the right, you could describe this is 01 00 00 00. This is equivalent to denary 64. This means any time you see a 64 you know it goes white, black, black, black.

The 1 at the end of the first row is therefore 00 00 00 01, which is black, black, black, white.

So, the students need to convert each denary number to binary, split it into 4 blocks of 2 bits each and then they have their colours. And if they can do 30,000 million conversions per second then they're doing it about as quickly as an i3 processor...

6. rubikwizard

I used it today and it seemed to work really well. However the students thought the colour picture was a house in the snow when in fact I intended it to be a spaceship on a background of stars!

7. rubikwizard

I know there are a few people on this forum that MUST know where this image came from ;-)

8. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

One of my Y10 students did.

9. It looks like a space raider to me.

Out of interest, if the MSB is a 1 on the monochrome image it comes out pink. Is that for everyone or just me (on Excel 2008 for Mac, so I'm used to bizarre effects from Windows-authored spreadsheet files)?

10. rubikwizard

It was made with Windows Excel 2010 and they all seem red to me. I applied the same conditional formatting to all cells so I would have thought they should all be the same.

11. All the rest (bits 2 through 8 counting L to R) are black or white.

And the 'blue' (IIRC) cells on the left are green...

12. rubikwizard

I can send you an unprotected version of the sheet if you wish to change it. Just PM me your email address.

13. It all works fine - just wasn't sure about the odd pink cells :)

Well, students do keep telling me that "the Macs are gay"...