1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Xmas cash

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tonymars, Nov 25, 2018.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Does anyone have any ideas/experience how to make any of this over the Xmas hiatus?

It is many years since I looked for "jobs" at this time of year and in those days most adverts were genuine and were advertised in job centres. It is my impression now (and I may be completely wrong) that most of these, along with post offices and banks, have closed and the few jobs that may be around are advertised online (except that many of these actually don't exist, or bear no resemblance to those jobs advertised), if you know "where" to look.

Or it could well be that I am completely out of touch and that the only cash opportunities are those, legal or illegal, which are created by individuals or groups of individuals.

2. supply287

supply287 New commenter

Royal Mail Christmas delivery.

tonymars likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've done that - it's quite good fun actually

agathamorse likes this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Large supermarkets and other retailers need extra staff in the run up until Christmas (or at least they are advertising for staff) but I don't know if this will carry on after December 24th.

tonymars likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've done that too - it's very hard work by the way.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. pwtin

pwtin Star commenter

Good luck Tonymars and I hope you are successful in finding work. I at one point decided I was happy to do any type of work and foolishly assumed I would easily find something. Recently I applied to Screwfix, B&Q, Argos and Iceland and have been rejected by them all. I seem to have success getting interviews with the NHS.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I found it very difficult to get work outside teaching; at Christmas, or at any other time of the year. I have applied to the sort of stores as @pwtin, with the same result. The nearest I came was getting taken on was as a casual for a supermarket. I did a couple of night-shifts, each of which only lasted a couple of hours, in stores in Slough and Maidenhead. The hours were too short to do much more than cover the cost of travelling. We 'casuals' would start at 10 pm. unload the truck, take pallets to the isles, etc., and when that was done, we would be sent home, after midnight!

In many part of the country, unemployment is sky high, so you will find yourself competing with much younger people with more relevant skill sets and experience.

8. pwtin

pwtin Star commenter

It is a sad fact of life, as myself and jolly have discovered. I was so naive in thinking that it would be better to give up supply and I would easily just walk in to shop work. It really makes you think what is wrong with you? I am considering dumbing down my CV to see if it makes any difference.

9. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Tony, I can only echo the second comment here.

The high street has died because nearly everybody now shops online. And in terms of delivery, also look at other couriers such as Hermes. I took many deliveries from Hermes last Xmas simply from men/ women who drove their own cars.

The pay is not great, but it will tide your over for sure.

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  10. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Thanks for replies pwtin and baxter.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

12. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

I totally agree with your assessment. Recruitment agencies posting job descriptions that are 'already filled' when one applies are more than frustrating. I ignore most of these now and only apply to jobs posted on the respective schools' websites.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I wouldn't feel too dejected about rejections from Screwfix and B&Q I use both these stores and find their shop floor staff very knowledgeable, certainly capable of answering all my dumb questions about how to fix something. I think that unless you are a skilled DIYer/tradesperson/craftsman then you are unlikely to get a post.

Good luck with the NHS, should you get a post with them then it might be an idea to stay with them and not go back to supply.

agathamorse likes this.