1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

x bar

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Colleen_Young, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Maybe. Hate most soaps myself. We're Star Trek fans in this household.

Just noticed the thread on A level - which board?

Which do you do?

2. We're with Edexcel, but dydx is talking me round to MEI. I'm not all that keen on Edexcel but we've got the text books and certain staff don't want to change, so my voice isn't loud enough...

You?

3. Now Wibs get yourself on the MEI summer conference as part of your professional development....See what MEI have to offer....Network with the right people...and report back to your HOD and Head.

4. They won't let me out to do that - my professional development is very well looked after...

Although they might consider sending someone else...might have to look into that!

Alternatively I could just move schools!

5. Colleen_Young

We do MEI wibble and I do like it but I must confess I do not like the books.

Have been an Edexcel GCSE examiner for many years as my first school used the board and I must say one thing I do like about Edexcel is the support from the exam board. Electronic mark schemes and papers available very soon after the exams for example.

Also there was a complete rewrite of C1 to C4 Edexcel books - not just a cut and paste job!

6. We've moved towards the Longman texts for C1 - C4, I prefer them to Heinemann.

It's the application modules that are our sticking point, and the fact that certain staff have notes they've been teaching from for years and the additional work that a new syllabus would bring...

7. Colleen_Young

Love MEI D1 but hate the book!

8. Wibs, I sense your frustration in your school. You sound like someone who relishes a challenge but are surrounded by conservative minds. Break free...apply for the next stage up...change the world...and the delivery of mathematics teaching.

9. I'll buy the paper tomorrow - who knows what it might bring (apart from a few hundred Maths jobs, eh!)

Right I'm out to the Chippy to get some dinner - anyone want anything whilst I'm there?

10. Hi everyone!

Is there a hot toddy anywhere?

Feeling sorry for myself tonight - rotten sore throat and generally run down.

11. Colleen_Young

Poor SparklySa - an excellent hot toddy available here! Pill up a chair.

12. Colleen_Young

whoops - pull up a chair!

I do wish you could edit posts on here as you can on many other forums!

13. yeah it's so annoying looking at your mistakes glaring at you and not being able to do a thing about it!

14. Hi fellow x bar resi's!
    Came back to find lots of posts on the x bar.
    I think I need to look into MEI - the school I am going to also uses edexcel ( also in addition to the one I am currently in!)

Let slip that I was leaving today- just kind of came out!
    Mind you it was a year 11 class so not too bad. The first thing they said was that they felt the school was going down hill. ( I was going to tell them that they were hardly angels themselves..)

15. Hi Mrs B

Are you moving up the ladder then?

16. Colleen_Young

Evening mrs b. Did you have a good day?

17. Mrs B...as I said to Wibs before. The best starting point is the MEI Summer conference in JULY. Well worth a visit. Perhaps your new school would support you.

18. HoD as of september...very much looking forward to it.

19. ooooh! Exciting stuff

20. thanks dydx.
    Yep -always a good day on a Thursday Casy- I only work 'til 12 then I'm off until Monday.