1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

x bar

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Colleen_Young, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Just me Flora. I'll join you in a glass of cyber-red. We are now 25% of the way through this half term. Cheers to that!

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Ofsted is over, so I'm spending all weekend in the x-bar. Anyone for nuts?

3. what a lovely feeling - got any cashews?

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Morning Peeps. This made me laugh on Twitter this morning:

"I told people at work that I like MC Escher and I got some really weird stairs."

Coffee time.

5. andrew jeffrey - he's here all week, folk!!

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Not my line sadly FP! I just retweeted it - original work was by @lastcyberpunk

7. so - let me see - i have to spend tomorrow morning invigilating a child who was away on monday, cos we need to test the top Y6's cos of the government's stupid obsession with level6 (it should have been a free morning for admin)

i am spending the evening desperately trying to find japanese translation resources for 2 kids who have arrived with no english but superb maths

the kids who turned up at my lunchtime 'word wizards' lunchtime club were so rag-tag i hastily switched from 'consequences' to 'picture consequences' - and 3 of the couldn't even get that

mr p left the back door open when mowing the lawn yesterday, so we have yet another field mouse in the house (having seen off 3 a few weeks ago)

it's a wonder it's only red wine and not straight meths

8. hi folks - i have builders in the house, and we had a whole school evacuation yesterday.

and my y6 group have turned into a room full of b*st*rds

i would quite like to go for intravenous meths, but have settled for red wine again

are the rest of you on the wagon?

the bar does serve soft drinks, you know

9. Andrew Jeffrey

Three days since anyway was in the bar! Shocking.

Today I am mostly drinking red wine having posed a tricky maths problem in my head:

I started in the south, drove north to the north, and drove a bit further north to the south. Where am I?

10. Andrew Jeffrey

11. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Dropped in for a break from Christmas shopping online. Virtual minced pie and mulled wine called for followed later by a large single malt.

Who is in charge of Christmas decorations in here?

12. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I think we should display the advent calendar by Alex Pett as well as the Nrich calendars!
    Note the Desmos Christmas tree also!

Wishing everyone a good last couple of weeks of term.

13. Ghost City, Arizona ..... Nobody here!

Is the bar closed now?

14. Colleen_Young

I had not realised it was so long! My post there is before Christmas.

15. It's gone very quiet in here. Where is everyone?

16. Andrew Jeffrey

Wow, almost a month since anyone was in the bar. I'm here and looking for a drinking companion having been teetotal since 1st Jan, but now back off the waggon.

Any takers?

17. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

It's a ghost town on Maths. I thought I would try to reply to all page one threads - just for fun as I rarely venture onto TES any more. But it looks as if hardly anyone else does either and I lost interest after the first couple of threads. So where does everyone now hang out? I spend much time on twitter - some great maths people over there. I love reading their Maths blogs. Sorts of ideas and conversations that used to be shared here on TES Maths.

18. Andrew Jeffrey

Yes, Twitter is a constant source of inspiration (pick and choose amidst the nonsense, obviously).

I am a bit sad that this forum has lost not just may of its people, though that's not necessarily a bad thing if new folks replace them, but also its positive spirit of collaboration and wit.

I still enjoy the threads that discuss ideas, and where people are open to suggestions rather than merely cynical.

19. Colleen_Young

It's certainly not quite the same any more - feels so much slower than it was. Agree with you both re Twitter - yes you do have to pick and choose but I have been led to many happy discoveries via Twitter. I think I spend about a minute on Twitter this morning and saw a tweet about Plotly which I had not come across before. Good for box plots for example.

20. Andrew Jeffrey

Just heard a new maths joke:

What's the best thing about living in England?

Dunno, but the flag's a big plus.

Kerching. Fetching coat.