1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

x bar

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Colleen_Young, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Today in itself appears to have generated some serious threads though...

Another lemsip needed here - why do colds come along when things are busiest?

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Poor Wibble

You are right - lots of serious threads.

Are you feeling bad?

3. Nothing that some lemsip and a good night's sleep won't put right!

If you are feeling like you do some Maths, please tell me I'm not going mad:

A tank takes 5 hours to fill, how long will it take if the flow rate is increased by 50%

(Either I'm going mad or the kids have all got it wrong...)

3hrs 20mins - yes?

4. we could keep this thread for all the light hearted stuff and leave all the 'heavy' stuff elsewhere? Can you imagine how long it would be?

5. oop!- sorry to hear you're not well wibblewobble- get well soon. Maybe a days rest from TES...?

6. Agreed Wibs...5 divided by 1.5

7. So, because they ain't showing their working, how did they get 3hrs 45??

8. Probably all copying from each other Wibs....see what the brightest one in class has done...then her/his mate...

9. Ooooo, that's cynical...

Found one with working:

First part of questions says teh flow rate increases by 100% - This gives an answer of 2hr 30,

So an increase of 50% is 2hr 30 + 1hr 15, intriguing concept...

10. No ....it's not cynical...that's what they do...you know 'What did you get for Q2' I've seen them do it in the playground. Your'e too trusting Wibs...get several of them who got it wrong to stand up infront of you to explain to the rest of the class how they did it. You'll soon rumble them...

11. Colleen_Young

mrs b, isn't this a place where we can discuss whatever we want including Maths? Someimes we might have a Mathematical quickie we want to run by colleages in x bar.

12. I'm with you there Casy.

Was beginning to doubt my solutions for a moment - and definitely not something I would post a thread about normally.

Anayway, hope I haven't given anyone the lurgy - I'll take my mug with me just to be on the safe side! Bed calls...

Take care, W

13. true- being tee-total I guess I'm not that used to being in a bar. Discuss, discuss, discuss away.

14. Apology to Wibble for only just replying - no Stats stuff must have been someone else.

I was doing some Stats but I hadn't mentioned that on here and now I am doing Shape instead. That and moving averages were sprung on me last minute.

I can't wait to get a chance to teach some algebra but I bet the kids will ruin it when I do!! (sorry had a bad day today....)

15. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

We have all been naughty number crunchers, I have only one thing to say to the tes web staff

2p2q/p

16. Tcho ho!!!

Don't worry the fun's not going away - just need to keep it to single thread.

People do have a point, we wouldn't want to drive them away, they have much to offer in the way of resources.

17. Colleen_Young

where did my last post go? apologies if this appears twice.

naughty number crunchers - I like that bbibbler.

mrs b this is no ordinary bar - it's the mathematician's pad - a place to relax and chat.

A fine range of tea, coffee and soft drinks is always available.

18. let's keep the x bar!

19. Drinks are on me I have just had the best lesson of my teaching career yet.

I swear that they didn't even breathe unless I had given them permission and they were hanging on my every word (year 8 set 2).

Thanks to everyone on here for advice on motivation - it has definitely made a difference.

That and positive letters home which I had advice on in the behaviour forum. This forum is such good value (infinitely I guess it being free!!).

Red wine anyone?

20. congrats! Did you try the 'talk'?