1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WWII topic - D&T and ART ideas please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Anderson shelter model for DT? Or some tools to do with gardening 'Dig for Victory'?
    There's some really good skyline paintings of WW2 but I can' remember the artist.

2. Design their own bomb shelter for DT; propaganda war posters for art.

3. DeeDog

DeeDog New commenter

We looked at rationing and evaluated existing biscuits. We then used a recipe from WW2 and made carrot cookies, which were then eaten and evaluated against the design specification and brief.
    We also made stockings (was ust before Christmas), applying the saying 'make do a mend' by using scrap material.
    The children enjoyed both and even the boys got into the sewing!

4. A friend of mine used the QCA unit on slippers but called it 'make do and mend' and asked the children to use old materials to design and make their slippers. You could use this to design and make pretty much anything.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

Henry Moore did a series of drawings showing what life was like in London bomb shelters. We used this as inspiration for our work.

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I used some great ideas from Hamilton Trust:
    - make models of bomb shelters
    - recipes using rationed ingredients
    - Using Edward Bawden (war artist) as inspiration for landscape paintings (linked in with evacuation)
    I'd recommend Hamilton Trust for topic work. I don't really rate the maths and english plans so much, but the topic section was a godsend when we started Creative Curriculum.

7. We looked at Art Deco (its just before the war - I know ) and we designed and made stained glass windows (glass paint, acrylic sheets and rolls of self adhesive lead strip).
    We also make teddy bears ( instead of slippers!!!) linked to evacuees (tenuous I know).
    Also have used propoganda pictures and created Pop Art work from it.
    DT - made a morse code beeper using switches, circuit and buzzer.