1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WWII marching drill PE lesson ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Loony tunes, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Hi, I'm teaching WWII at the moment and thought about doing a bit of a marching drill with them for their PE lesson. Can anyone point me in the direction of drill activities as I'm struggling to find any. Thanks!

2. Loony tunes

Hi, I'm teaching WWII at the moment and thought about doing a bit of a marching drill with them for their PE lesson. Can anyone point me in the direction of drill activities as I'm struggling to find any. Thanks!

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

I did this and the children loved it. I was lucky me and OH both had service backgrounds.

Do you have a local cadet force or TA base? They would probably be willing to help. It is very difficult to explain or read how to do, much better to see first hand if poss.

4. http://www.boys-brigade.org.uk/drillnotesforboys.pdf

Not WW2 but BB drill is based enough on military drill. Have you ever done drill before? I find it difficult enough to do at BB let alone in a school

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

zannar's suggestion is a great one, we had a sergeant from our local TA come and drill a group of 20 pupils ready to appear in a production a few years back. It was great fun for all concerned and a few TA guys came to see the performance.
    Are you hoping to use drill to meet Dance objectives?

6. Loony tunes

Thank you everyone for your ideas. Lots to think about, thanks.

7. rosyanna

rosyanna New commenter

I did some skipping games on our WW2 day - trawled the internet and found some playground rhymes [although I had to change the wording slightly for some, lol], children chanted and skipped - went well.