1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WWI centenary commemoration

Discussion in 'History' started by ftmraki, May 7, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I'm beginning to think about how best to commemorate the WWI centenary next year and I was wondering if anybody has any grandiose and original ideas? Sadly, a battlefield trip is out of the question as I work in a British international school in Bangkok, so I'm looking for something in-house.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Graeme

2. WarMemorialsTrust

WarMemorialsTrust New commenter

War Memorials Trust has various teaching resources focusing on war memorials that will be useful for schools looking to commemorate the centenary. The Trust's Learning Programme (www.learnaboutwarmemorials.org) is specifically designed to educate young people about the history and significance of war memorials. Some lessons, such as visiting a war memorial and researching names, may be difficult given your location but others deal with issues such as why war memorials were created and are still important, the recent problems of metal theft and war memorial design.
    If you would like further information please contact the Trust's Learning Officer at learning@warmemorials.org.

3. Graeme, have sent you a PM.

Keira