1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WW2 topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Joanna93f, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I am doing a WW2 topic with my year 5 class next half term. The children are really excited to learn all about it and I am really keen to make it interactive and fun. I know this is a very popular topic so I just wondered what activities other people have done that have been fun and successful?
    Many Thanks!

2. I am doing a WW2 topic with my year 5 class next half term. The children are really excited to learn all about it and I am really keen to make it interactive and fun. I know this is a very popular topic so I just wondered what activities other people have done that have been fun and successful?
    Many Thanks!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

My special needs class are currently studying WWII and we've focused on the jobs people did during the war. One thats been a real success so far has been the air raid precautions warden. We've made paper mache warden's hats and a science investigation to find out which household material made the best blackout curtains (we drew a house and cut out windows, put the house in a plastic wallet and put newspaper, material, paint etc in the "window" and shone a torch through). For some of our science and art work, we've made a bit of a jump from make do and mend to recycling. Lots of fab ideas on here if you do a quick search.

5. A school I did placement on were developing their outdoor area and so they made plans to grow their own after looking at all of the posters and had a parent in to help build an airaid shelter (it wasn't finished whilst I was there sadly but I imagine it would have been very exciting!) So many things you could do - have fun!

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I'm about to do this topic with my Year 6 class next half term. We're starting with a trip to the Imperial War museum (London) and having a Blitz experience with an actor/role play guide.

In school we're going to:
    - do map studies, looking at political change and Hitler's advance across Europe (geography)
    - look at the reasons for rationing, design our own 1940s menu and cook it using rationed ingredients (DT)
    - study evacuees' experiences and do some diary/letter writing based around this (English)
    - Use Edward Bawden's war artwork to inspire our own landscape paintings (art)
    - Study the Blitz and air raid shelters and build our own (DT)
    - Look at what happened after the war - UN/Children's charter (PSHE/citizenship)

I found the topics section of the Hamilton Trust website was a great place to start. Some bits I have lifted straight from it and others I have taken the idea and worked it around for my own class.

If you don't already have a logon, PM me your email address and I'll set you up for a couple of weeks on our school one (any longer and someone else will notice!)

7. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

An art idea that my yr5 daughter was very excitedly telling me about ... they did amazing paintings showing a skyline during the Blitz.
    A4 paper, landscape. Broad stripe of yellow paint across the bottom.
    Add a little red, do another broad stripe of paint.
    Add some more red, do another broad stripe ...
    Until the whole page is filled with a graduation from yellow up to dark red.
    From black paper cut out the outline of buildings and ruins, include windows for the more dextrous - stick this on the bottom.
    Then, cut strips of pale cream or yellow tissue, narrow at one end, wide at the other. Stick these on (narrow end at the bottom) to be the beams of the searchlights, coming out from behind the black.
    I wish I'd taken pictures of the display - they looked fantastic!

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

There some nice English-based film work can be done looking at openings to films set in evacuation villages. Watch the openings to the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, Carrie's War, Goodnight Mr Tom and maybe even Bedknobs and Broomsticks to see the different ways in which both children and host families might have reacted to evacuation placements.

9. I'm running a creative arts projects with teenagers around the Spirit of the Blitz- part of this involves intergenerational work + collecting Oral Histories. They are also designing a resource pack for Primary School children - we'd be happy to share their ideas if of any use!?

10. Loony tunes, love your ideas, think I may pinch those!
    Ideas I've tried;
    Made Anderson shelters from clay/modroc etc
    Blitz shadow puppetry that we filmed
    Make 'rationed' recipes
    Make ration books / evacuee labels
    Letters 'home' from where we were evacuated to
    Set up role play area of a WW2 corner shop (printed off old labels etc and stuck them to tins/ printed off posters to display around the 'shop', real potatoes/veg and old fashioned weighing scales.
    Did loads more but my mind has gone blank, I'll have a look through my planning!
    I love doing this topic and the children and so enthusiastic, have fun!

11. Many thanks all for your great ideas, what a fantastic topic!

12. cazone

cazone New commenter

So far we have
    • Made our own life size Anderson shelter in the classroom - linked to DT,
    • Made evacuees tags, ration books and identity cards,
    • Cooked using egg powder and survived!
    • Created and tended to our own allotment patch - a few grow bags in playground.
    • Made Air Warden hats and soldiers hats
    • Listened to WW2 music and learned some dancing - linked to PE
    • Looked at spitfires and lancaster bomber and drew our own and then painted them.
    • Run into the Air Raid shelter during lessons if the siren goes off and waited until it finished to come out
    We are still to
    • Create gas mask boxes
    • Evacuate ourselves from class
    • Have a VE day celebration party
    If you want any planning let me know and I'll send you what I've done.

13. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Where did you get your labels from? I'm about to make my shop so any you could point me in the direction of would be amazing!

14. With a special needs group our team of TAs and children sat under tables to show them how cramped an Anderson shelter is now everytime we go in the library it's "miss can we go in the anderson shelter!" Also we made tags like the evacuees had and wrote letters as if they were evacuees writing home. They loved this whole topic, can't wait to go through it again!

15. Hi there, all I did was google images of 'canned food WW2' and printed them off to fit the can! They did look really effective and the children really enjoyed using the area. Sorry not very technical! Have fun!

16. Another resource which may be helpful for World War 2 are video interviews of people who lived through the Blitz in Liverpool, some were evacuated and others remained in the city. The interviews have been split into short titled chunks to make them more accessible.
    They are sitting in a Moodle VLE installation but are easily accessible. click on www.baileybridge.net and click on the Moodle icon. This will take you through to the VLE and you will see the World War 2 links in the middle.
    These are quite powerful interviews which should be suitable from Key Stage 2 onwards.

17. I would love any planning for the life Anderson shelter if possible please?