1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WW2 topic-best fiction book to link?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clatkiu1, May 11, 2011.

1. Doing a WW2 topic next term and want a fiction book to link with it.
    Just wanted any suggestions for a class book Y3/4.
    Thanks

2. Michael Morpurgo - Friend or Foe us pretty good! Not too hefty either.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. My Story: Blitz - my class loved it!

http://www5.scholastic.co.uk/zone/book_my-story_girls.htm

5. Trudy

Trudy New commenter

Another vote for this, it's great, definitely appropriate for your age group, some good issues for them to get their teeth into.

6. poet

poet New commenter

Rose Blanche- gorgeous gorgeous picture/type book. Not long enough to read every day for a while but amazing to get fab writing out of it

7. Another vote for Friend or Foe. I actually used it with my Year 6 class. They loved it. Our class author is Michael Morpurgo so it was the natural choice.

8. If you're covering the occupation of Europe or referring to the Holocaust, may I recommend 'Number the Stars'. I can't remember the author (you could google it) but it's a truly uplifting novel about a young Jewish girl's experience in Denmark and how that nation truly deserve to be honoured for helping the Jewish population to escape, at great risk to themselves.

9. I used the lion and the unicorn by Shirley Hughes for my 3/4 class which was great and had some lovely pictures to appeal to the less confident readers.

10. I used Friend or Foe with years 3 and 4 a few years ago and they really enjoyed it....so that's another vote for that one from me!

11. We did Michael Morpurgo, The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips. Children really enjoyed the whole book and it lent itself to lots of writing opportunities.

12. 'Blitzed' by Robert Swindells is another good one. I haven't actually read it with a class (only in my 2nd year of training so far!) but I think it would lend itself well to a Y3/4 class. 'Goodnight Mister Tom' is very good, but I think more appropriate for a Y5/6 class.

13. The Memory Cage is excellent! Only just been published and links to other issues such as adoption & Alzheimer disease.

14. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

How about 'The war and Freddie' by Dennis Hamley. Very good for what was it like for ordinary children in the war. There used to be a read and respond for it too iF you can find it and want more ideas.

15. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

If you mean next September, some of your class will just be into Year 3, so a picture book would be best. "The Lion and the Unicorn" is a great choice.