1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WW2 Gas Masks

Discussion in 'History' started by kealeyc123, May 15, 2012.

1. Hi!
    Just after some advice from the history experts...
    A child in my year 5 class has brought in a WW2 gas mask to show her peers as is our topic. It's in a leather bag, in a carrier bag. I looked in the bag and lifted the leather lid to take a peek but haven't taken it out yet as we ran out of time today.
    Anyway, at the end of the day our teaching assistant said not to handle it etc becuase of the potential asbestos threat?
    I don't really know what to do with it now as I'm worried about touching it and hoping what I've done so far is perfectly safe??! I know this might sound dramatic but I'm pregnant and need a bit of reassurance/advice!
    Thanks!

2. Just lifting the lid of the bag really shouldn't expose you to any danger. The only way to get the asbestos particles airborn is to disturb the material (the filter) in some way. And this is if it is friable which it may not be.
    The fact is that there is asbestos in the air that is completely natural. Everyone has millions of particles already embedded in their lungs. It's long-term and intense exposure that is dangerous. My wife freaked out when we tore up some asbestos tiles, since we have some little ones. We ended up paying to have the air tested and it was clean as a whistle. I was never worried since it wasn't friable and we sealed the area where the work was being done.
    But don't worry. You're fine. And your baby is fine, even if you managed to inhale a particle or two of asbestos it wouldn't affect your baby in any way. I probably wouldn't remove the gas mask from the bag, just to be on the safe side.

3. yep you should be fine i agree with what brettsherman says