1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WW1 and 2 songs

Discussion in 'Music' started by cate50, Oct 5, 2012.

1. cate50

cate50 New commenter

I seem to remember from way back when combining "Hang out your washing on the siegfried line" with "it's a long way to tipperary" does anyone know if I am imagining this or if it actually works and has anyone done it sucessfully?
    Cate

2. cate50

cate50 New commenter

I seem to remember from way back when combining "Hang out your washing on the siegfried line" with "it's a long way to tipperary" does anyone know if I am imagining this or if it actually works and has anyone done it sucessfully?
    Cate

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

'Pack up your troubles' and 'It's a long way to Tipperary' can be sung together if you don't mind the hideous clash in the middle. I know a choir who did it successfully by changing a note. But I'm not sure why you'd want to.

4. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

That particular combo used to be an absolute standard during the interval at village panto evenings. (He said, revealing his age - lol)
    There's a rather good WW1 version to the tune of "What a friend we have in Jesus" that begins "When this blessed war is over, no more sodiering for me" - might conceivably be fun to combine the pair, perhaps one set to one of the harmony lines... And of course VW did use the same tune for THAT Golf advert featuring Paula Hamilton......