1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WW vs SW online?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by millymoodle, Aug 27, 2011.

1. I've lost 2 stone by eating more sensibly (and trying not to eat unless I'm hungry) but would still like to lose another 2 stone. After slow but steady weight loss I've ground to a halt and I'm thinking about doing WW or SW (online not classes) to get me going again. I want to be able to eat the same meals that the family have and so don't want a diet plan as such.
    I realise its horses for courses and what suits one person may not suit me but would anyone recommend WW or SW?

2. I'm a SWer...Can't stand all the point counting and working out of WW.

3. What do you have to do on SW? Have you tried the online version?

4. I am an online member.
    Eat as many free foods as you like, 1 a choice (dairy) 1 b choice (fibre based) and you can have 5-15 syns a day.

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I second SW. It's great if you're a grubber like me, as there are so many foods you can eat in unlimited quantities.
    I used to do WW but went off it after the recent introduction of 'pro-points'.

6. I did SW and lost weight on it but struggled with eating out or buying lunchtime stuff with it and when I stopped I put all the weight back on as I hadn't got portion size under control at all. With WW I lost 3 stone and while a stone has crept back on over a number of years I find losing a few pounds again easy so that my clothes stay comfy. I haven't tried the new pro points thing - I just work on the old point system with my points calculator.

7. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

I joined sw last night. Did it back in 2002 and lost 5 stone. Then stopped going and put it all back on, joined ww after as one of the reasons why I left sw was that the meeting leader was not very helpful near the end. Basically when you were loosing she was over you like a rash but when you were struggling and needed help it was no where to be seen. Ww did not work for me so came to a point where in my head ready to finally say ' I need to loose weight ' . Fingers crossed it will work again for me, I am trying to get my head around it as the EE way is totally new to me as I was a red or green day. One thing if anyone knows is years ago they did a couscous cake that was very low syns. Does it still exist? Think it had mincemeat in it? Does anyone know of it? Whenever it was as my husband puts it ' rotweiller week' this would curb my sweet tooth instead of reaching for the galaxy!!!!!

8. Thank you for your advice everyone. I think I need to be more aware of portion sizes and what exactly I'm eating so I think either would be worth a shot. On the plus side I haven't gained over the hols but haven't lost anything either and would really like to get going again. Thinking of joining online this weekend and starting on Monday - because everyone knows you can only start a diet on a Monday [​IMG]

9. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I joined weightwatchers online and paid for first month of meetings. Anyway I went to the first meeting last night but it turned out it had been cancelled! I had put my weight in the website on Monday so have my points allowance and have been trying to follow it since then. I don't know how long I will stick it for though as I am starving!! I often go running but haven't been this week as feel too hungry and don't have the energy for it, the activity points aren't even motivating me. Either weight watchers isn't for me or I have been massively overeating. I'll see how it goes.

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

WW has worked for me. I go to the meetings and track my points online.
    I did find it difficult to start with but I am ok as long as I stock up on fruit and veg and fill up on those. I love being able to earn activity points. You can pick them up for walking if you don't feel up to running. I've just been out for an hour's walk - result 2 very tired dogs and I can have 2 small glasses of wine this evening. [​IMG]
    I started in June and have lost 1.5 stone so far. I have had a few weeks off over the summer holidays to enjoy my holidays and relax and have a drink but without disastrous results. Back to it properly now. I have another 2 stone to shift by Christmas.
    I feel and look a lot better for it which is keeping me going.

11. I can vouch for WW working for bombaysapphire! Definitely looking fab [​IMG]

12. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Thanks you've encouraged me to keep it up [​IMG]

13. Bombaysaphire 1.5 stone since June is great well done!