1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

?????? wts EAL & EMA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tamtams, May 16, 2012.

1. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi
    EAL means English as an additional language, this would apply to say Muslim pupils who speak their language as a main language but then also English. EMA means Education Maintenance Allowance this is a payment given to pupils who stay on at school or college after they have completed their GCSE;s. Aplogise if I am wrong only I not aware of any other meaning. I'm sure someone will be able to put me right if I am wrong.

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

If EMA is in relation to EAL I think you'll find it means ethnic minority achievement.
    Education maintenance allowance was a sweetener paid to post 16s to encourage them to stay in education. It is now defunct as the age for leaving full time education has been raised to 18. It was income related. It was paid weekly into a bank account and was only paid if students attended their course every day of the week.
    EAL is English as an additional language and this is for people whose first language is not English but who are planning on living in England and, therefore, need to learn the language. This is similar to ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) EFL and ESL are English as a foreign language and English as a second language and these are normally taught to people who do not intend to live in the country. Generally the term EFL is used in England and ESL in America but not always.
    EAL is the term used in schools in England and ESOL is for post 16s.

When working in pupil support you will come across lots of these short forms - FSM = free school meals and CLA = children, looked after (used to be LAC) are two others. My brain is shutting down so I can't think of anything else ATM.
    There is all sorts of data relating to how EAL, CLA, FSM can effect children's performance and attainment in school. I see that you have an interview tomorrow, it might be good to have a quick look at some research so you have a bit of an idea what is being said.
    Sorry I can't help with your other question but good luck with the interview.

3. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

SORRY I stand corrected.

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

It was my first thought too but it didn't make sense to me only because OP seemed to be linking EMA to EAL. I just googled it to find the answer.