1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WRS + Mediation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by winteriscoming86, Nov 27, 2017.

1. winteriscoming86

winteriscoming86 New commenter

Morning all,

Just after some advice. I am off work at the moment due to WRS, caused by excessive workload and poor relationship with my HOF.

Prior to going off I requested mediation with this person, with the hope that once bridges had been rebuilt, I could then address the work-life balance I was lacking. My HOF refused this mediation whilst I was in school, since being off and meeting with my Head regarding these complaints, they has refused my second request for mediation.

I am fully aware that mediation is voluntary, however I wondered if anyone else had experienced a situation like this before? Did you escalate to a formal complaint? Did you leave it alone and accept their refusal? Did you return to work? Did you find another job because of this person?

I am so concerned about returning to work now. We all know due to PRP we are at the mercy (or so it seems) of our HOF/line managers. As I have requested mediation and been off work ill because of this member of staff, I am so afraid that they will use this against me and life will just become much worse because of it. I am not naïve enough to believe that my HOF isn't feeling some of the same stress/concerns that I have (I know everyone has a higher power they are answerable to), however I don't see how we are to move forward positively if these issues are addressed.

Any advice or thoughts please?!

TIA

extremely worried, nervous and scared teacher.

fudgeface likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I've no personal experience of this but I doubt you could bring a formal complaint against the HOF for not agreeing to mediation. If it's voluntary it's voluntary so how could you complain if someone does not volunteer? Forcing someone into mediation when they don't want to wouldn't bode well for a successful outcome, I wouldn't have thought.

Is your union involved? What do they recommend?

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I haven't come across this on these pages before. Or I've forgotten.

What is the substance of your complaint? I'm not sure you'd get very far with it. If the HT thought the friction could be ameliorated by mediation then I think s/he would have asked the HoF to go along with it. The HT hasn't put pressure on the HoF to do so and I surmise that this means the HT believes the HoF has nothing to discuss with you. In which case I don't think any formal complaint would be met with a great deal of sympathy.

Hard to tell but that's my instinct. Without knowing any more. Remember about publishing details that one always has to be cautious about divulging too much information lest one be identified.

You've asked nicely twice. You've been off work. Nobody above your pay-grade is budging. I would recommend you start to look elsewhere. That's an option.

4. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Snack in he day when I was a HoD, we were expected to build strong working relationships with our teams.

I am also off with WRS, due to bullying. No one should be made to feel nervous, stressed and scared. As others on this site have kindly said to me, "it's THEM not you!"

Good luck

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Oops - should have said back in the day, not snack in the day!

6. winteriscoming86

winteriscoming86 New commenter

Hi apologies, I did not mean I would make a formal complaint about my HOF refusing mediation. I know this is their right to do so. I meant making a formal complaint about our relationship (or lack thereof) and their abuse of authority that has led to my being off work.

Thanks for your perspective it was useful. My HT has told me they would advise my HOF to take the mediation. However I think you maybe right that if I did make a formal complaint nothing would happen as like you said, no one is budging.

Sorry to hear you are of work also. I completely agree with you, it's them. This is why -despite my hesitation and belief things may get resolved- a small part of me wants to fight. I never used to back down from a fight when I knew I was in the right, but I have been brow-beaten so much by this particular person that I completely feel useless as a practitioner and person. Hence why I am off.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You are not useless in either department. You are conscientious and have tried extremely hard to get on with your line-manager.

I fear that the culture in schools (for both staff and students) has changed for the worse. All are under intense pressure and you have acknowledged that the management-team are as much subject to stresses and strains as are you.

I know I wouldn't have coped and I don't regard myself as anything other than a good teacher who is personally very resilient.

I volunteer in a local school and, although the behaviour is good, the atmosphere is somehow muted. The staff look dispirited and the students feel nobody has any time for them.

It really isn't you.