1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wrongs of Past Practices may have been just Oversights....sometimea!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by karisshad17, Apr 8, 2019.

1. karisshad17

karisshad17 New commenter

When teaching Equal Fractions, teachers, textbooks, curricula, teacher-training, student-learning, visual demonstrations...ALL, without exception draw upon an implausible assumption: i.e. when multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same number, it produces the "increase" in the the number of equal parts ( 3-fourths "increase" to 9 twelfths!). This is patently absurd and fails the test of all four levels of Mathematical reasoning:
    1. Visual Reasoning 2. Verbal Reasoning 3. Numerical Reasoning and 4. Pedagogical Reasoning.

In order to demonstrate this, I have uploaded 2 videos on My Resources for downloading for free. In addition, the videos may also suggest that Primary-Middle Math CAN be taught without the use of spoken language. We use verbal mediation (without visual mediation) to convert printed words to sounds, then to meaning. Likewise, it can be proved (as I do in the videos) that we use "visual mediation" to convert visuals directly to meaning without any recourse to verbal mediation. I remain open to any comments, inputs. And also to correction, of course! :)