1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I don't know where the head got the idea that offices are paperless. From a 1970's edition of Tomorrow's World perhaps, which is probably the nearest she's ever got to an office. There aren't many offices that are really paperless. Ours doesn't store anything on paper, but nearly everything starts off as paper and is scanned in. Everyone chooses to make notes on paper. With a pen. Paperless doesn't mean there's no paper, paradoxically.

A better way to reduce paper would be to go back to boring old (accurate and well written and reusable) textbooks rather than scrappy photocopied worksheets.

I find it really hard to take in things from a screen compared to a book.

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Only a minor point but as long as the exams are paper and pen shouldn’t they use this method in class?

I think I’m getting too old but if the student top exams on an iPad- or similar- then it would make sense but, until then...

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

iPads discriminate against people who don't have small pointy fingers.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I have always found that students need to actually practice writing answers with a pen. I do not allow note taking on a computer as it takes too long and can be distracting for other students. It is impossible for students to copy diagrams on a computer. I do allow students to take photographs of diagrams on the board.

agathamorse and Morninglover like this.
  5. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

We use ipads at school and to be honest, though I was a little skeptical initially, they actually work pretty well. Certainly its a lot nicer to simply send an electronic copy of a past paper to a whole class rather than printing it out, and it is also nicer to take home an ipad to do the marking on the sofa rather than a pile of papers or books. The pens are pretty good these days, and I have to say I do find myself taking my ipad to meetings to jot down notes rather than paper. I wouldn’t say pupils necessarily learn more or better with an ipad, though pupils like the fact that they can’t lose their notes, but I also wouldn’t say they are detrimental to learning. An expensive way to save paper, yes, but if that is this school’s stated goal it should work!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Why use an expensive ipad, when an Android tablet costs way less.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

What a very stupid woman this must be.

Alice K, agathamorse and nomad like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No more reading? May as well burn all the books!

Jamvic, Alice K, ridleyrumpus and 2 others like this.
  9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

That's why comments etc are written in different colours. That way SLT do not have to (be able to) read the comments but still check for compliance with non negotiables.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

This phrase, "non negotiables" has come up a lot recently.
    I assume this is the phrase used to justify ludicrous marking policies.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Amongst a myriad of other things that are not negotiable.

Jamvic and Alice K like this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

So she bases her expert advice on an incorrect assumption?

nomad likes this.
  13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I know writing things down helps me think. Does typing things have the same effect on younger people who are typing more of the time? It doesn't for me, I like my pen and notebook, still carry one in my handbag.

14. paulmarkj

paulmarkj New commenter

You don't need an ipad, a £1000 tablet would do the trick. And we always shared textbooks, so pupils can share tablets.

15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

But most iPads cost less than £1000

16. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I think in his indignation he hit a supefrlous 0

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I expect that pupils also write/create work on their tablets, so they take the place of both text and exercise books. Possibly not really shareable.

18. HazyTechNerd

HazyTechNerd New commenter

Maths on a computer/tablet is awful, as is anything where you might just want to play around with ideas. I can see the point of doing electronic drafts in wordy subjects as it’s easy to move things around without having to rewrite the entire thing, but small notes and anything that requires a lot of strange formatting (maths) is excruciatingly painful and time consuming. Even tablets that you write on are not good for that. You just can’t get enough information on the page, even with a stylus. It’s like trying to do a decent amount of maths on a white board. You run out of space so quickly.

chelsea2, agathamorse and ajrowing like this.
  19. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

That is what I initially thought, but having now transferred to ipads I’ve actually found that they are just as good as exercise books for doing maths on (I’m not sure I understand the point about the lack of space, the screen seems to my untrained eye pretty much A4 sized) . Again I’m not saying they are better or necessarily worth the money, but they aren’t the disaster I would have expected.

As an aside, one of the more niche advantages I have found as a maths teacher is the ability to automatically convert maths written with the apple pen into LaTeX code. I now find it so much more straightforward to write decently formatted worksheets and class notes.

20. HazyTechNerd

HazyTechNerd New commenter

Ok, I’ve yet to find an application that can easily do that but having had a look around, I can see that they’re there. However, the cost associated with this is quite significant. We all know that a stylus or your finger is pretty rubbish for writing and you can’t get it small enough to fit much on the screen. An Apple Pencil, which I’ve heard good things about, will set you back £89. Then there’s the cost of the app for paper. Now schools may well be in a position to buy this, so may teachers. But students? I did a maths degree and ended up using Word for my assignments having hand written the lot first because making changes was so difficult. But I would have been very reluctant to fork out for this specific hardware/software. So when our young people learn how to use this and only this, what happens when they find they can’t afford the tech after they’ve left school? I’m not saying don’t use it. Anything that gives teachers some time back and makes life easier is well worth it, but I’d be cautious about restricting the way in which our youngsters can learn. You can always find something to scribble a note down on. You don’t always have the right tech with you (and charged) at all times.

Boardingmaster likes this.