1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Jan 12, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Exercise books are “old fashioned”, a leading headmistress has said as she urges schools to follow her lead and become “paperless”.

Children need to be “prepared for the future, not for the past”, according to Kathy Crewe-Read, head of the £14,000-a-year Wolverhampton Grammar School.

Since most offices are now paperless there is no reason why schools should not emulate this approach, she said. Pupils at Wolverhampton Grammar School aged between nine and 14 now use iPads in every lesson rather than exercise books and textbooks.

“We are trying to prepare our students for a distant future where, ultimately, writing and reading might be a thing of the past,” Mrs Crewe-Read told The Telegraph.

“Everything is stored digitally on iPads,...

Why deliberately lose the skill of handwriting?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I imagine children at the 14000 a year school can afford the rental agreements for the ipads, or the school can afford to buy them.

To be fair, my partner and I regularly comment how poor our handwriting is these days as we almost never do any!

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Agreed, Nomad. What a depressing statement. :(

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Good grief, that's depressing.

Thankfully, the only reason my school would go down that path is that they'd think it would be cheaper to use iPads than books. At the moment, the children's books are essential for SLT, keeping tabs on me, on what I'm teaching, how often I'm teaching it, and how I'm differentiating it. The idea is that everything I do, including one-off interventions, must be evidenced through the books, and labelled so that every nosy parker can see exactly what went on, and check that I'm following every policy.

Obviously, this makes me feel trusted, respected and valued.

5. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

The head cant be a maths teacher, or a scientiest, or well a teacher.
    Maybe English and History dont have calculations and can be typed up. A bit of paper (jotter) is far faster to do calculations on than formatting the working on a computer. My maths graduate son reckons it is 8 times slower on a screen. Writing on a screen with a pencil is also slow and there is not much room for text.

josepea, MissGeorgi, chelsea2 and 7 others like this.
  6. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

The Head is a mathematician but is leaving in August to become head of a school in the Home counties.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

That reminds me of a LA Maths adviser, back in the mid 1980s, who suggested we use only electronic calculators and stop teaching pupils any paper and pencil calculations.

Then there was a famous Horizon TV programme, circa 1975, which predicted the 'paperless office' within a decade, with everything becoming digital. Well, we got all the new digital equipment - including technologies that hadn't even been invented - and we also got much more paperwork to complete!

Or going back to the early 1960s, some 'forward looking people' tried to convince us that the 'Initial Teaching Alphabet' (ITA) was the way to help young children learn to read, and write, more efficiently. It was eventually phased out because it caused a great deal of confusion when trying to get pupils to transfer to standard English.

Education is littered with well-meaning initiatives that haven't been thought through.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

reading a thing of the past? o_O

I don't see an issue with secondary schools going almost paperless. Not with iPads though - laptops or chromebooks possibly. There are some subjects where paper is useful but quite a lot can be done digitally.

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

It's not just about the handwriting - I think it's more difficult to learn from digital resources, and I'm sure it's not just because I'm too old to be a "digital native". When I do MOOCs, look at videos on YouTube, etc., I find it much more different to refer back to something and recap in a video or on a website than it is in a book.

chelsea2, BG54, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

She sounds like a person more concerned with attracting attention and headlines than anything else. Wouldn't accept anything she said as worthy of note, to be honest.

Pomza, agathamorse, ajrowing and 3 others like this.
  11. Drdad

Drdad New commenter

Having worked in the independent sector in the past, there is always a pressure from marketing departments to get the school in the news for free publicity. This looks like one of those cases.

If I remember correctly, my school came up with some nonsense about fountain pens.

12. richardmthompson1

richardmthompson1 New commenter

I have become fairly convinced that the physical forming of letters on the written page reinforces the learning of words and meaning. A touch typist, I have used computers extensively, but it seems to me that the revision notes I've written in the past were much more effective than those I typed.

chelsea2, 1007, agathamorse and 5 others like this.
  13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Last year I was working with A level students who had been provided with digital texts (ebooks). Neither group liked them. The year 13s had either scrounged or bought the old fashioned sort because they found them easier to use.

chelsea2 and agathamorse like this.
  14. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Finland dropped the teaching of cursive handwriting some years ago. There's an argument both ways. For longish documents, I'm moving to voice recognition software which is faster than my typing - or my handwriting.

15. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

The research on this suggests that it's because notes typed on a laptop are more likely to be a word-for-word transcript of the lesson, whereas handwritten notes are more likely to be paraphrased, and it's the rewording that's the key thing as it requires students to think about the lesson content.

16. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

I think we need to move on from this simplistic either or argument.
    Anything that would cut down on the huge quantity of waste paper generated by schools each year - about 10 Kg per pupil per year apparently - would be welcome. So perhaps supplying short documents - handouts , worksheets, diagrams in electronic form to student tablets would work.

But there is still a place for handwritten work, notes; rough drafts etc etc.

And really while examinations are still ,in the main, handwritten, students will still need to develop and practice some form of legible hand crafted script

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I tried this for a dissertation and essays a couple of years back for a masters...my diction is clearly not as good as I thought it was!! :oops:

agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  18. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

The more we move to technology, the more paper we generate.

Kids in my school get ipads, but not the apple pen, so any drawing or anything thats not easy to type still has to be done in exercise books.

Plus, they must sign in duplicate a document confirming that they've received the ipad, another accepting the schools IT policy. Then I have to give each one a printed sheet with their log-ins for various school apps and sites. And despite having the ipad, I still have to give each one a paper copy of their timetable.

The report in the OP, I saw it yesterday and wondered how many offices this woman has been in recently. Paperless office my a.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I agree with this, at least for me personally it's the case. Maybe is one of those 'learning style' things (duck!) but commiting something to paper, with pen or pencil, helps me assimilate it.

20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I thought that too. What would be the point of iPads or digital devices if people couldn't read what was on the screen?!