1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wrong PGCE for me?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Avian, Jan 13, 2011.

1. I'm currently on my second placement and I am beginning to feel that I may have chosen the wrong PGCE for myself.
    I'm doing early years primary (one of just two guys doing it at my uni), when i origonally decided to go the early years route i had just done my re-application two weeks observation in a year one two class and thoughly enjoyed it and working with those children. I have also worked in a play setting with general primary age children and wish to stay with this age group rather than secondary.
    Now however I am on my second placement both of which have been in reception classes and I am beginning to feel that while I can just about get by in terms of getting to their level of understanding, i don't want to just 'get by'. I want to do it properly and I am wondering if i would be better off teaching at a higher level in primary.
    The problem is that we are now far enough into the year that i cannot realisticly make the switch and I am extreemly reluctant to deffer my studies as it would mean another year living seperated from my fiance. Something neither of us want as we have found this year very challenging.
    I feel that the other problem I am having is the school that i am in it'self. Being blunt, I find the relationships between the staff to be poisonous and ***, something which is not helped by the fact that the head teacher is very overbearing verging on being bullying.However to be fair to the staff and the headteacher they do appear to want to help me do my best and are quite willing to help me, but this placement has been made more difficult by several things just plain going wrong, mostly that I couldn't do any planning in advance due to the teachers themselves being told not to by the head until the planning day which was the day before the children came back. A planning day which the teachers didn't understand let alone myself and the other student. and then on the first day i had a motorbike accident on the way into school which ment that more time was lost.
    At the moment I am not sure what to do. I do not want to stop my PGCE as i really want to teach but i am begining to wonder if it is the right PGCE for me. my instinct at the moment is to stick this one out for the time being until the end of the placement and see which way i want to go after that but I honestly don't know at the moment.
    What would the advise of others be please?

2. I'm currently on my second placement and I am beginning to feel that I may have chosen the wrong PGCE for myself.
    I'm doing early years primary (one of just two guys doing it at my uni), when i origonally decided to go the early years route i had just done my re-application two weeks observation in a year one two class and thoughly enjoyed it and working with those children. I have also worked in a play setting with general primary age children and wish to stay with this age group rather than secondary.
    Now however I am on my second placement both of which have been in reception classes and I am beginning to feel that while I can just about get by in terms of getting to their level of understanding, i don't want to just 'get by'. I want to do it properly and I am wondering if i would be better off teaching at a higher level in primary.
    The problem is that we are now far enough into the year that i cannot realisticly make the switch and I am extreemly reluctant to deffer my studies as it would mean another year living seperated from my fiance. Something neither of us want as we have found this year very challenging.
    I feel that the other problem I am having is the school that i am in it'self. Being blunt, I find the relationships between the staff to be poisonous and ***, something which is not helped by the fact that the head teacher is very overbearing verging on being bullying.However to be fair to the staff and the headteacher they do appear to want to help me do my best and are quite willing to help me, but this placement has been made more difficult by several things just plain going wrong, mostly that I couldn't do any planning in advance due to the teachers themselves being told not to by the head until the planning day which was the day before the children came back. A planning day which the teachers didn't understand let alone myself and the other student. and then on the first day i had a motorbike accident on the way into school which ment that more time was lost.
    At the moment I am not sure what to do. I do not want to stop my PGCE as i really want to teach but i am begining to wonder if it is the right PGCE for me. my instinct at the moment is to stick this one out for the time being until the end of the placement and see which way i want to go after that but I honestly don't know at the moment.
    What would the advise of others be please?

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

My advice would be to stick it out. Once you have QTS, you can teach in any age range (although it's usual to do your NQT induction in a year group you are familiar with). As a teacher at a primary school, I can be asked to teach in any of the year groups at school and could, if I could prove an ability to teach the subject, be a teacher at a secondary school if I wanted to.

4. I am doing an EY PGCE but i'm pretty sure I am more suited to KS1 however, I know it is very likely I will be able to apply and at least get considered for KS1 and possibly lower KS2 when it comes to applying for jobs! I am lucky in that my uni teaches EY and Primary students together for everything bar one module (where we look at EY and primary do French), so most of my training is for across the primary curriculum anyway ... but from doing this, it is easy to see how the skills you learn in EYFS can be used across the primary school! I wouldn't worry too much, stick it out, get your QTS and look at applying for jobs across the primary school ages! It may be worth trying to get some observations in older classes in the school you are in to see what age you would prefer :eek:)