1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wrong Pay Scale AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mie_chivs, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Good evening!
    I would really aapreciate everyone's help. I started a new school in October (odd time I know, but that's not the issue) and was issued with a contract stating I would be on M4 - I queried this as I'm in my 4th year of teaching and completed my performance management successfully last year. I didn't sign the contract either. They took another look and told me it was a mistake and I should be on M4, so sent me another contract which I read through thoroughly and it stated I would be on M4. So I signed that contract and handed it back to my new school. I didn't receive a copy back however! At the end of October I was still being paid on M3, but sorted everything out AGAIN with the payroll office and at the end of November I got paid on M4. I thought that it was all sorted, but oh no!
    I got a letter today saying 'Pay Review' and it said 'as of September 2011 you will be on on M3 and your pay will be reviewed again in the Autumn 2012. It may be ANOTHER mistake, but I'm getting really really annoyed now with all the mistakes.
    Basically my question is, having signed a contract stating clearly that I will be on M4, can the headteacher just suddenly change my pay back to M3 WITHOUT speaking to me about it and thought any reason to? I realise it may be a mistake, but I would like to know where I stand if it isn't a mistake.
    Thank you!

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

If it is a regular maintained school, and your last job was also in a maintained school, and you worked on M3 all year (or for at least 26 weeks of it), then there is nobody who can refuse you M4 this year.