1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WRMH planning

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by f1claire, Oct 24, 2017.

1. f1claire

f1claire New commenter

Hi I have recently taken on maths lead for ks1 and been tasked with changing our existing planning in line with the white rose scheme. Having spent the first term exploring and experimenting I wondered how others have found adapting it into planning?

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Not too bad. I generally take each "small step" as an objective. That objective might get 1 lesson, more than 1 lesson, or I might combine 2 or more small steps in to one lesson. I then think about what the input will be, what 'fluency' questions I will give them to practise (generally take these from a textbook, ****** worksheet or generate questions using dice), I often cut and paste the reasoning and problem solving questions on to a sheet for them to stick in their books and respond to. I do also pull from a variety of other schemes/websites e.g. Kangaroo maths, nrich

The only thing I would say re: differentiation is the reasoning and problem solving is a bit too tricky for my lower ability ones - now whether that's the fault of the writers of the scheme, or just indicative that the new curriculum is too hard for s certain proportion of children, I don't know,