1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Written work for misbehaviour.

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Ensemble91, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ok, so I am currently doing my drama PGCE and planning lessons for when I get back after half term.

However, I know I have at least one year 7 class who it is going to be difficult to do practical work with. I did the groups first practical drama lesson last week (before this they were doing costume design with a tech teacher) and the lesson didn't go well.
    I have discussed with teachers etc and decided since it isn't safe to do practical with them when they run around and don't listen, <u>I need to have some written work for them to do as a back up if it isn't safe to continue with the practical lesson.</u>

BUT I don't want to give them something that isnt drama related, something they might enjoy more like costume design, writting lines etc. but I have no idea what I can get a class of year 7 with little/no drama experience to do.

Any written work ideas for other year groups would be useful too!

2. I am happy to email you some material which will do the job. I need an email address to send it to. If you don't want to put it on the group send it to my inbox.

3. Look at The Technique here.
    Also look at the Rough Guide.
    DON'T give them written work.
    If they don't want to do Drama then they have won, haven't they?
    I can't do a behaviour mentoring course on here, but you need to impose your requirements on the class. By all means stop working - then start again - and stop - and start - but basically you need to let the class know that there is some (practical) work to be done and it WILL be done because you, the teacher, have decided so.
    Is there a Drama teacher in the school?
    If Year 7 have had no formal Drama look at Drama - The First Six Lessons.

4. Thanks! I have messaged you my email address!

5. Yes there is a drama teacher at the school.

I have been told by teaches and my tutor from university that sometimes written work has to be given as it is not safe to allow the learners to continue, especially for one class I will be taking as the lesson is in the lecture theatre and it has a number of hazards.

6. To be honest, in my opinion you should not have to teach a class in an environment which their own teacher regards as hazardous. If their behaviour is that bad, create drama that does not need then to stand or move around - you could stay sitting in a circle and focus on voice, for example. Or use the lesson to storyboard in preparation for a practical. Or let them create duologues, or prepare duologues you find fotr them, but without moving around. Create a radio play, maybe.
    But I would check with your tutor that you are being treated fairly for this teaching practice.