1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Written Work as a punishment

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by laurascott1991, Jun 6, 2016.

1. laurascott1991

laurascott1991 New commenter

Hi All

I am finding myself threatening students with theory work if they continue to disrupt practical sessions but I don't have any written work to give out. What sort of stuff do people use?

TIA

Laura

2. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Occasional commenter

Would it work if you have them consider how they might direct a particular scene giving details on how they might handle the delivery of key lines and so on.

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

This is a hard one as in Drama, there should be some written work as otherwise they won't pass a GCSE so it shouldn't really be used as a punishment. It's something I'm developing for KS3 for September as it needs to be introduced in the right way. I'm assuming you're talking about KS3 however?

My advice is to develop some written work to have to hand for students who can't cope on occasion with the freedom of rehearsal time, but that it does need to support the practical work (a review/storyboard etc.) as otherwise it's wasted paper, a pointless exercise etc. Can you threaten with a detention or time added on at lunch/break instead? That way it doesn't make the written work a punishment as otherwise you're onto a loser when you try to do written work with a class.

4. lilycorrigan

lilycorrigan New commenter

I've had this issue before. The golden rule in any group of students that I teach Drama to, is that if you mess about in practical as well as theory sessions then there are severe consequences. The first being downgraded (because remember it's about their behaviour too!), and being dismissed from the production. I absolutely do not condone bad behaviour. If they are serious about Drama then they need to act like it. You have every right to set a punishment. And if all else fails tell them what their life would be like in the industry if they don't pay attention to those who work senior to them. They won't get very far in life if they don't do as they are told when they are told.

I can't tell you how often I need to raise my voice within a classroom be it mixed or same sex groups. One key example (which I will heavily edit due to confidentiality and data protection) I can give you is this:

I had two female students fighting over a young man from a nearby comprehensive school. One had just been dumped by the young man and the other had just started seeing the young man. They had decided to deal with this in a physical manner in my class. I pulled them apart and shouted "What are you doing?! Have you no respect for this classroom or myself! I am here to teach you and you think it's okay for this kind of behaviour in my class! It's unacceptable! Now you stand over in that corner and you stand over there in that corner facing the walls. You will stand there until the end of the lesson. The rest of you will sit on the floor in silence and remind yourselves that this is your GCSE's at hand, and you must work hard to achieve to the best of your ability!"

Once class was over I dismissed the other students and took the two students in question to the principals office. I explained to the principal what had happened and both girls were suspended and suffered the consequences of their actions.

Try not to make empty punishments. I hope my suggestions are helpful and not too harsh. I work more in the private sector you see.

Good luck