1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Written task for Interview

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Naomi755, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi Guys

I've got an interview tomorrow and in the brief they have told me that I will be asked to do a written task, however they haven't given me any more information that this (vague). I was wondering if anyone else had been asked to do a written task and what it might involve. I thought it might be plan a lesson, or write a letter to parents. If anyone else has any ideas /experience on this one I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. It could also be to look at data and interpret it accordingly. I have known of this task being given before and then interviewees have to explain how that would impact upon their lessons/sow. Hope that helps! Good luck.

3. Thanks! I'll prepare for that as well then.

4. There's a very good thread on here covering what you've just asked about. The very good advice given was that you can not possibly prepare for this as you have no idea what the task is going to be. If you ask 10 people on here, you will get 10 different answers so the best bet is to make sure you know all the basic things you may be asked about in interview and adapt to the task when it happens. Have a search for interview tasks on this forum and it will explain this in greater detail. Good luck!!

5. You cannot possibly prepare for group tasks or written tasks because the range of what they may ask you to do is so vast. Just remember that it is likely to be something you will do in your teaching practise every day so no point in worrying about it - every candidate will be coming at it blind, that is the whole point, they want to see how you do with something unseen (teaching can be a bit like that at times).
    I have done the following tasks:
    A written question and answer set - like the interview questions but you write down your responses.
    Write an IEP (there was information available to help you)
    Group a numeracy and literacy class (you were given levels) and then justify your reasons for grouping them in the way you had - very tricky because I group my classes and then end up changing them three weeks in as I get to know the kids so all very artificial (but I think was to too whether you recognised that grouping for writing and reading could be different and you might need to consider reading ability in maths too).
    'What would you do' scenarios - these were generally about behaviour and special needs with a 'which order would you deal with them in' question.
    A scenario and then you were asked to fill out a child protection concern form.
    Levelling/APP tasks (everything you need is available for you)
    Completing a topic web or generating ideas for a complete topic from a prompt - this is merely to see if you can make cross curricular and skills links and to see if you can be creative and have ideas of you own.
    Write a lesson plan for a particular learning objective.

I have also completed group discussion tasks and these are usually specific to the school. At my second interview I had anticipated what they were going to ask because when they took us on the school tour on the day they had already taked about the subject they gave us and how much money it was going to cost and it was going to have a massive impact on the school, so it was hardly likely to be anything else.
    Don't sweat it, just relax, take a deep breath. They won't expect you to do anything you wouldn't be expected to do as a teacher and everyone will be in the same boat. It isn't usually pass/fail and often there are no right or wrong answers but it allows them to get a feel for you as a teacher beyond the observation and interview and to see if you philosophy and way of working will fit in with theirs and to see how good your written communications are too.
    Good luck!

6. I had to do a written task at an interview which consisted of 3 parts. I had to write a letter to a child's parents, outline my actions and response to being informed my class had not made enough progress in a particular area and respond to a safeguarding scenario. It wasn't too bad actually, I just used my common sense (I got the job, but unfortunately couldn't accept).