1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Written feedback

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cat2611, Oct 6, 2015.

1. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

The assistant head observed me on Friday 25th September 2015. To date I still haven't received any written feedback. Should I receive written feedback after a lesson observation? I don't agree with everything that she said but it would still be nice to have the feedback.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What does your school's Policy on Observations say?

That must be your first port of call.

Best wishes

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Depends whether it was one of the observations making up your PM judgement or a 'drop in.'

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I think the big two teaching unions suggest that written feedback should be given within five working days of the observation. Sensibly, if you left it much longer than a week or two the 'moment would have passed' to actually have some kind of meaningful dialogue about the lesson.

How about being pro-active by emailing the assistant head confirming your understanding of the verbal feedback they gave you. It might be possible that they have genuinely forgotten.

5. cat2611

I've so far been unable to locate an observation policy. The teaching and learning policy states that observations will normally be carried out by the headteacher but it doesn't say what form the feedback will take.

Even if I locate a policy it is possible that the staff at my school won't be adhering to it. The assistant head told me tonight that seeing as the policies are outdated and are currently under review we must use our common sense to choose sensible parts of the policies that we will use.

I emailed the assistant head on Monday. I asked for written feedback but she hasn't got back to me yet. Do you think I should email her again?

6. cat2611

Shouldn't be used in their entirety? I've never heard of a school or organisation choosing sensible parts of policies that they will adhere to.

7. stmha

stmha Established commenter

In an ideal world you give brief feedback immediately following the lesson and the arrange a formal debrief. Everyone is busy, so unless the lesson was a disaster and you are worried, then give them some slack.
    Were you asked to do a formal evaluation for the debrief?