1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Written confirmation of employment not arrived.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ljb2018, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Ljb2018

Ljb2018 New commenter

I was just wondering how long typically it takes for a new employer to carry out the ‘pre-employment checks’ and send out a written employment offer?

Can anyone tell me what your experience was please? X

2. ViciousChicken

ViciousChicken New commenter

My first job (appointed in June to start the following Sept) I got nothing in writing and signed my contract about a week into the job.
    Second job, similar recruitment date/start date, got written offer days before starting job.
    Two different LA though.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Often an offer of employment will state that it is subject to various checks. If any of the checks results in something untoward the school could rescind their offer. You need an offer in writing/via email with the agreed salary etc. before you resign from your current post.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Years ago,.I turned a job down because the potential new employer failed to send written confirmation through. As it happened that school went into Special Measures months later - so a lucky escape :cool:

agathamorse likes this.
  5. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

I would be very uncomfortable with that happening to me, and I would be very disinclined to continue with a school who works in such a way.

I would personally email and ask the school to, please, send through a contract as you risk not having a job (or something in your contract you have no time to ask about).