1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Chatterbox1607, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

How many days do you teach writing in a week? Do you look at a text, plan and do the piece of writing in the one day or do you do this over a couple of days?

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Several days, usually. It's a lot to fit into one lesson! Unless it's haikus or something "simple".

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hard question...Do you mean teach skills that improve writing or ask the children to write?

The teaching of skills is daily and several times a day in fact. Actually asking them to write ( an extended final piece) would be maybe once a week or so, if that.

I have year 2 and they do put pencil to paper every day, but not necessarily create a 'piece of writing'.

4. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

Both. I would be interested to hear how teachers improve and teach writing this is an area I want to become more confident in.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL These are definitely NOT the same thing based on my lesson today! I taught writing, but wouldn't like to say anyone improved!