1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing -y6 stat assessment

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by shelleywilliams10, Feb 2, 2012.

1. My head was told by our SIP that they wouldn't do an overall english level this year - the levels for reading and writing will be reported separately. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but it's what we've been told after asking the same question!! [​IMG]

2. Thanks for this - is news to me and will check it out. Why not in the ARA? More evidence of making it up as they go along!

3. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

I thought that I had read that it would be a mixture of test and TA depending on what had happened with the test, but I really can't see how that will work.

4. im sure we find out more in April. I wonder if we use the writing paper we received today to inform a whole literacy grade as we have threshold tables as of next week.
    When are you planning on administering the writing paper?

5. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

still trying to find out if i can do the 2 tests at different times. i would like to them on different days def but also possibly spread out too

6. holdon

holdon New commenter

Our head was advised that overall English will be based on average of combined APS scores in Reading and writing. Mmm... could it be that powers that be have not quite thought through all the way to summer term?

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

How on Earth can you get a national Curriculum level through averaging "scores"?
    And an overall level in English must include Speaking and Listening - it's one third of the curriculum and one third of the assessment.
    I think people are confused because they're used to thinking (erroneously) that the NCT result was the overall level when the overall level was NCT (50%) and the TA 50% (nothing to do with tests and including Speaking and Listening.)

8. DfE have delayed their publication of the KS2 English methodology until after Easter.
    Well they do it for KS1 "English" for 2 levels progress.
    <ol>[*]Convert the reading and writing levels into points[*]If a pupil has points in both Reading and Writing, take an average of the two to come up with a points score for English. If they have points in only reading or in only writing, then these points are taken as the English points score.[*]The overall English level, using whole levels only, is then calculated against a table of point scores / levels</ol>So KS2 will probably be based on Reading test + writing TA = KS2 English

9. That works fine for Teacher Assessment, but not when you look at the test scores, which is what used to be used for KS2 English overall. Reading Marks + Writing Marks = English Marks to be looked up on the thresholds which emerge in July.
    Last year, if a child gained a level 4 with 18 marks in Reading and a level 3 with 12 marks in Writing, overall English was 30 - level 3. If another child gained 33 marks in reading, it was still a level 4, and if we add the Writing as 12 marks - level 3 we end up with overall English as level 4.
    But then, is this just going to be yet another way of inflating results?

10. markuss

Well they do it for KS1 "English" for 2 levels progress.
    <ol>[*]Convert the reading and writing levels into points[*]If a pupil has points in both Reading and Writing, take an average of the two to come up with a points score for English. If they have points in only reading or in only writing, then these points are taken as the English points score.[*]The overall English level, using whole levels only, is then calculated against a table of point scores / levels</ol>So KS2 will probably be based on Reading test + writing TA = KS2 English

But
    (a) The mark in a test can't tell you what a child's reading level is - the test work is too limited; there's not what you could really call a "range" of texts (compared with the key stage classwork) it happens once and it's not in normal school reading conditions.
    and (b) Reading test + writing TA can't possibly " = English" because it ignores one third of the curriculum/assessment - the Attainment Target One.

11. Speaking and Listening has always been reported separately as a teacher assessment. The "English" level has always been the total of the Reading and Writing score.

12. markuss

The level for English at Key Stage 2 up to now has always been:
    50% NCT (Reading/Writing only - mark converted to a test level)
    50% TA ("Best fit" level overall on Speaking and Listening/Reading/Writing). Had to be an overall level given based on all three ATs but the three could be reported separately as well.)
    It used to be the same at Key Stage 3 but now there are no NCTs, it's 100% TA (as above).
    The TA was supposed to be through normal classwork and homework (if appropriate) with no contamination by test result as the NCT gave a separate, notional level.
    It's a strange contradiction now if the only level there is somehow combines test and TA into one. Very strange.

13. Perhaps we're getting our wires crossed - I'm referring to the English Test result reported on the Performance tables. This English result is in no way shaped by the English TA (in fact the proportion of pupils achieving L3,4,5+ English TA is reported separately).
    Performance Tables - http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/primary_11/p3.html
    KS2 English test outcome was Writing marks + Reading marks (each having their own threshold table for a level for that subject) checked against the English overall threshold table (2011 threshold). This year, as a result of the Bew review and a concession to the problematic external marking of Writing papers, schools can mark the writing test internally and then will submit a Writing TA (partially informed by the test outcome) to DfE. This will be combined with the reading test result to give an English result that can be used for the % L4+ English and maths headline indicator.

14. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

sorry markuss, no one except Y6 teachers has ever taken TA levels into consideration for the English level at KS2. Even the promise that Raiseonline would this year have teacher assessment tables to came to nothing. The question is still how will an overal level be calculated?
    I am assuming that if the writing is to be 'informed' by the test whether internally or externally marked, then if the child has a bad day and underperforms the teacher can report the more accurate teacher assessment level as the overal writing level. I assume we won't be including points scored on the writing test as this would mean it is not to inform TA but rather instead of TA.
    The only reasonable way forward is to report reading and writing as separate, have 2level progress for each separately and scrap the overal English level which has never included speaking and listening anyway.

15. EEK!! when do the teacher assessed writing levels need to be submitted? Have scoured the DFES website to no avail.

Thanks [​IMG]

16. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

And has anyone any idea how the Level 6 papers will form part of the overall English result?
    (Floralgums - if you google Assessment & Reporting Arrangements 2012 it should tell you all you need to know about submission dates)

17. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

L6 writing threshold mark anyone? can't find on website

18. markuss

zug, are you seriously saying that "En1" - one third of the English curriculum has never been considered part of English assessment to be reported at KS2?
    Well, if you haven't taken account of it before, there's a clear requirement for you to do so this year. It's here:
    http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/k/assessment%20and%20reporting%20arrangements%20key%20stage%202.pdf
    where it says (page 40) :
    At the end of Key Stage 2, teachers summarise their judgements for each eligible child, taking into account the child&rsquo;s progress and performance throughout the Key Stage. They need to determine:a level for each attainment target in English, mathematics and science; andan overall subject level in each of these subjects.Teachers should base their judgements on the level descriptions in the National level description is closest to the child&rsquo;s performance, taking into account written, practical and oral work

19. markuss

"Each attainment target", it says - and English has three of them. Number 1 is Speaking and Listening.

20. Deadline for the submission of all KS2/KS3 TAs is 13th July - NCA Tools will be open from 8th May.
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/keystage2/b00203626/key-stage-2-english-writing-tests/the-internally-marked-level-6-english-writing-test/internally-marked-level-6-english-level-threshold-tables