1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing Workshop in Nursery - in need of inspiration

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Shabas, Jan 5, 2011.

1. I have to run a workshop where i talk to parents about developmental writing and then they get to work with their child on a writing task. I am in Nursery and am struggling for possible writing tasks that will wow!
    Any suggestions gratefully received!

2. I have to run a workshop where i talk to parents about developmental writing and then they get to work with their child on a writing task. I am in Nursery and am struggling for possible writing tasks that will wow!
    Any suggestions gratefully received!

3. Im not surprised your struggling for writing tasks. To me the whole thing sounds totally inappropriate. I assume you are working with 3 year olds??? Dear oh dear...

4. Unfortunately that doesn't help me!!
    Anyone else with inspiration?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. How about stressing building up hand control, showing play with playdough, manipulation, finger rhymes which help fine motor control. Making circles in shaving foam and emphasising making big movements in both directions, and lines and possibly letters of their name so long as you give them a correct formation sheet.
    Doing cooking at home is also useful for building hand control.
    Mark making using fat felt tips and crayons on large paper, eg wallpaper backs. Making lines and circles.
    Using icing tubes to mark make.
    Possibly for actual writing show large single letters in highlighter pen to trace (rather than dots) or ideas like tracing over tracks and drawing train on.
    Importance of giving children paper and pen/pencil and letting them write with you alongside for shopping lists etc. Mark making in cards for the family. Watching parents write things children suggest carefully helping them read back after.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

The list is endless, and that's the point, really.
    Not sure about giving three-year-olds 'correct formation' sheets. Yes I am - don't do it! Some parents will treat it as homework and let their children get on with them alone. We're talkiing nursery, after all, where even the ablest 'mark-makers' need a lot of support.
    'Carefully helping them read back after' doesn't really mean anything if the children acn't actually read. I don't understand this one.

8. OK I meant give the parents a guidance sheet on correct formation so that if they do try to write with child ( and they do) they will know how to form letters correctly, I did not mean a sheet for children-'NO NO'.
    Actually children can recognise some words at 3 so if they know what thay said they can recognise words once written for them,especially with parental support, but I was wrong to say read because it is recognise or read together, parent reading really, but it is useful to see parents writing.

Yes the list is endless and a writing workshop can reflect this.