1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

writing sentences - where to start?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clairebear1, Jan 17, 2012.

1. have been asked to teach a group of year 1s and a group of year 2s, about 10 in each group, focused Literacy sessions - so basing the lessons on sentence structure; capital letters, full stops, etc that sort of thing.
    One problem....I have no idea where to start! Can anyone give me a brief outline of where to start, what to do first, ideas for activities etc. Each session will be about 30-40 minutes.
    Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whatever youdecide to do with them must be based on <u>their needs</u>.
    So first thing you need to do is assess their current knowledge/ gaps in skills . Then you can start planning on filling those gap in knowledge /skills.

No point in planning 6 week's work on say starting a new sentence with a capital letter, then finding they are actually quite good at those but need more practice in say knowing <u>when</u> to use a full stop.

3. Year 1s: They arent good at capital letters and full stops. They dont use finger spaces in their writing and I dont think actually know what a sentence is.
    Year 2s: They know what capital letters and full stops are, but they dont always use them. Short sentences they write in, no extension of sentences or connectives used.

4. I did a training recently where we were showed this:
    Fold a peice of A4 paper so you have 8 little boxes. Hold it landscape. Cut half way down the folds to the middle of the paper. On the bottom half, not cut, write a word in each box eg: My cat is nice.
    On the cut bits fold them down. Write 4 more words. The idea is that you can fold down any little box and it still makes sense. eg
    Bottom half: My cat is nice.
    Foldy bits: Our teacher was great.
    When folded down could be: Our cat is nice.
    Our teacher is nice.
    Our teacher was nice.
    My cat is great.
    My cat was great.
    My teacher was great.
    etc etc etc.
    Very hard to explain in writing without showing you! But the idea is they start to form 3 ideas: its not a sentence without a capital letter and full stop and its not a sentence if it doesnt make sense. The boxes might also help with finger spaces.They see examples of sentences that don't work and that do. You are also showing that the sentence must have an object and normally has a verb, but the children wont necessarily realise this.
    Hope this helps.

5. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

Once you've got a starting point you might find some ideas in a book called Badger Sentence Writers Y 1/2 by Pie Corbett and Anne Webley
    Sorrim.

6. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I agree with a previous reply that you have to pin down appropriate aims.I've uploaded lots of stuff with pictures which always give a steer and some of the tasks include
    punctuation, forming sentences etc. Try the index in my blog http://languageisheartosay.com
    for my items on TES organised by topic or look in the special needs
    section under Speech and Language. Sometimes it's quite hard to find
    things on the TES site here because there is so much.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would start by seeing if they can actually say a sentence.
    Then I would ask them to count how many words in the sentence.
    Write the sentence.
    Check they have a capital letter at the beginning = 1 point
    Check if they have a full stop at the end = 1 point
    Does it make sense = 1 point
    obviously if they can't say a sentence you need to do lots of S&L