1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing scores for EYFS - children with accents

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bb619, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Hi everybody, quick question...
    I am a reception NQT and I work in a south London school and I have a number of EAL children. I want to award scale point W7 to a number of children who i think they are using their phonic but are spelling words wrong because of their accents e.g. ch-ai-nn for train and m-ai for my. can i give them the scale point? Also, how consistant does a child using phonics have to be?
    Any help would very much appreciated or should i say 'a-per-r-ee-she-ai-t-ed'.

2. Hi everybody, quick question...
    I am a reception NQT and I work in a south London school and I have a number of EAL children. I want to award scale point W7 to a number of children who i think they are using their phonic but are spelling words wrong because of their accents e.g. ch-ai-nn for train and m-ai for my. can i give them the scale point? Also, how consistant does a child using phonics have to be?
    Any help would very much appreciated or should i say 'a-per-r-ee-she-ai-t-ed'.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think the criteria for assessment is that the spelling has to be 'plausible'. I take accent into account with this where appropriate, this would not usually apply to every word the child attempts anyway. I am in the North but a lot of my chilren also say ch for tr as in train and v, f or d for th. I do correct these errors with children though when reading their work with them.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

in those examples I might give it for train if that is what they say althoughI would be doing lots of "watch my lips" while I say the word ... but I wouldn't give it for my

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've not found this to be an issue that particularly concerned EAL children. Sometimes, the opposite has been true when children have come to English fresh, so to speak, without centuries of 'fink as opposed to 'thing' as part of their linguistic baggage.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why should you say that when there is no e between the p and the r?