1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing reports while on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Rin, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Rin

Rin

I am a primary school teacher on a year's temporary contract working part time with a job share. I am due to go on maternity leave in the next few weeks. Reports are normally written at school around the May/June half term - I am planning to leave three weeks before this.

It has been mentioned to me that I will be expected to write the reports with my job share. However, can this be expected if I am on maternity leave and therefore not being paid in full? I only qualify for SMP as I am on a temporary contract so will be paid 90% as soon as I leave. I totally understand that it is not fair for my job share to write them and nor could my cover as she wouldn't know the children well enough - however, I also think it is probably unreasonable for me to write them whilst on maternity leave.

Does anyone know where I stand? I don't want to be difficult about it with the school and my job share is a friend so I also don't want to cause her more work. However, once I am on maternity leave and I know I will not be returning I know I will find it very hard to sit for hours writing reports.

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Could you get a chunk of them done before you leave? It would mean having a bit less of the school year covered but perhaps your job share partner would be willing to do a bit more than her share given the circumstances. I think that once you are on maternity leave it would be very hard to do it - not least because the baby could come early. A compromise should be possible between not doing any and doing it during your leave.

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

What about making a start on them now? I'm full time (not going on mat leave or anything like that) and I plan to get started in the next couple of weeks - you could do the same. I want to start soon just to spread the workload out.
    Someone has to write these reports. You can refuse to do any work once you are off on maternity leave and that would be fair enough. However, if at that point, none of the work on them has been done then it will be down to your jobshare and your cover person to write them - if, as you say, the cover person won't have had enough time with the children, then your jobshare partner will end up doing the lot.

4. I was once asked to write reports for Feb when I was leaving post in dec. I just said I would and didn't- but then I wasn't going back. A compromise I would have found acceptable, but which was never suggested would have been if they had offered me some time off timetable to complete these- you could ask for that, maybe on a day when the hand over teacher is in school?

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am currently covering maternity leave and the reports were due just after she went on leave. She completed the reports before leaving as best she could but certainly did not do any more once on leave and I can't say I blame her! In fact she also left me a pile of marking from a unit that had just ended as she left for leave. I was obviously left with lots of marking for a unit I did not teach but to be honest woul have done exactly the same in her position as she was heavily pregnant and just needed to go away and relax.
    My advice would be to do anything you can before leaving but once you are on leave, do not take any work with you. They cannot expect you to, it is unreasonable.

6. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

In the schools I've worked in the teacher leaving (for whatever reason) has been given a day or two to write the reports before they leave.
    In my last term in my last school I took on different classes, whilst a temporary teacher took mine, because of someone else leaving, I was given a day off timetable to write the reports for my former classes as I also had the reports of the new classes to do as well.