1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing reports using SEEMiS?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by cassie511, May 18, 2011.

1. cassie511

cassie511 New commenter

Just wondering if others out there are having problems getting SEEMiS to work adequately when writing end of session reports. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What you see on the screen when you type is not what you see on the final report. The whole system is badly designed, difficult to operate and unbelievably time-consuming.
    I would like to know if there are people in other authorities who find the system works well. Perhaps it is our report format which is causing the problem but the whole process is causing a huge amount of stress.

2. cassie511

cassie511 New commenter

Just wondering if others out there are having problems getting SEEMiS to work adequately when writing end of session reports. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What you see on the screen when you type is not what you see on the final report. The whole system is badly designed, difficult to operate and unbelievably time-consuming.
    I would like to know if there are people in other authorities who find the system works well. Perhaps it is our report format which is causing the problem but the whole process is causing a huge amount of stress.

3. I finished writing my reports today (finally!!) and I have been tearing my hair out with Seemis. The way you have to toggle between the screen you can type on to the final report is time-consuming and annoying. It is also frequently not working because of seemingly endless maintenance . . .It is so irritating spending so long working out how to use the bloody system when you just want to get on and write your reports.
    A fellow stressed out teacher

4. I don't think SEEMIS is fit for purpose. Trouble is, nearly every EA has bought into it and none of them want to admit that they may have made a mistake.
    It would appear that the weekend updates a couple of weeks back just made it even more wobbly than it usually is. As for last week's problems of slow access and refreshing, according to SEEMIS this was down to -
    "an unprecedented number of staff across Scotland accessing the system in the evenings." -
    You couldn't make this stuff up.
    Anyone who has been to SEEMIS HQ in Hamilton, seen where they work and where the servers are located can understand perfectly just why it's as flaky as it is

5. has it been updated in line with CfE ? I've been away for a while but I used to use it and found it clunky but servicable. I liked the fact that it removed a lot of pure admin tasks from teachers by having pupils' names/attendance/5-14 levels auromatically inserted>

6. cassie511

cassie511 New commenter

It has completely changed for us this year - no facility to create templates. Everything has to be typed in Word if you want to copy and paste the same comment into a number of reports. You can end up having Click and Go open 3 times when it comes to checking what the final report looks like so you can easily(!!) correct silly spelling and spacing errors. And you can only do this in school because you can't see the final report at home!!!!!

7. That sounds like a step backwards !

8. It feels like a step back. A basic template on word would have been much, much easier. Looking back I really can't believe the time I wasted on writing reports this year! Ah well, next year it'll be another new system to get to grips with!

9. As I've said before, I worked at SEEMIS and the reason it's buggy is because it's thrown together as fast as possible in order to get more features out there to stay on top. I've been away from the company a couple years but I've been anticipating a software implosion :p

10. I can't get it to work at all.

I have tried to log in with www.seemis.gov.uk

but it doesn't give you the choice of 'Edinburgh City Council' and when I choose login it doesn't accept my password.

I have Java, which is what we were told was all we needed.

Help !!

11. You have to set it up in school to make it work at home.

Some of the other problems people mention come from copy and pasting from Word. Write it in Seemis and then copy and paste between boxes and you won't have the problems with formatting.

12. We are all demented in West Lothian, trying to access Seemis from home. Itjust doesn't let you log in. Poorly designed with no thought to primary teachers working from home in the evening. we don't have the luxury of free periods through the day to write reports during the working day. [​IMG]

13. We all have the same non-contact time these days.

14. Very frustrating

15. oops...techy glitch there....

you must try E1...words fail me. People are spending hours on reports only to see data disappear before their eyes, if they can log in at all. I would love a simple word template.........