1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing reports on 'unknown' class

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ljr, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ljr

ljr New commenter

I will have been off work for 6 months when I return at the start of next term. I will go back to the original KS1 class I had for 6 weeks in the autumn term, but will only take them for the mornings, of which there will be 17 (3 bank holidays & the final week of the half term is taken up with non academic activities). The HT is expecting me to write the end of year reports by half term. I will have taught them for 6 weeks, 6 months ago, & then 17 half days. I don't see how I can write anything meaningful on these children, equally I can understand that the supply teacher doesn't want to write them - any suggestions?

2. ljr

ljr New commenter

I will have been off work for 6 months when I return at the start of next term. I will go back to the original KS1 class I had for 6 weeks in the autumn term, but will only take them for the mornings, of which there will be 17 (3 bank holidays & the final week of the half term is taken up with non academic activities). The HT is expecting me to write the end of year reports by half term. I will have taught them for 6 weeks, 6 months ago, & then 17 half days. I don't see how I can write anything meaningful on these children, equally I can understand that the supply teacher doesn't want to write them - any suggestions?

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Do some quick assessments, look through the books and use the information from those to write your reports. I'd assume that your school has ongoing results from each term that you can also use to measure progress.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Talk to the supply teacher and make a few notes, then write the reports. You could discuss 5 children for 5 mins every lunchtime for a week...sounds a lot, but would only take 1/2 hour a day.

Parents will be aware (I would imagine) that reports will be a little sketchy this year for obvious reasons.

But you will have to do them and as best you can. Maybe not up to your usual standard, but not to worry.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

You could try asking whether the supply teacher could be paid for a couple of extra days purely to do the reports.

6. Sadly it is part of your role - regardless of how long you have been back....
    BUT presumably the other 0.5 teacher also has a contribution to add.....
    You will ofcourse be able to comment on the progress made - you have records from the Autumn term to compare with what you experience next term....
    Do lots of guided activities where you can really zoom in on the areas you need to focus upon for reports....

(I have had to write reports on students that have technically been on role 6 weeks yet only attended for four days!!! So know it IS possible - just not ideal....)

7. ljr

ljr New commenter

Thank you all for your ideas & suggestions - I feel much more positive about the task ahead now.