1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing/reading levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hammie, Apr 11, 2012.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

some of my weaker pupils spend most of their time out being taught by TAs in small groups. Work not planned by me, or even seen by me or my co-teacher.
    They are always out for Literacy and guided reading, often for topic time too.
    So where do i stand when they have not made the "expected" progress in writing and reading?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is this school policy? Who decided that they would be withdrawn from class as I would think they should take the responsibility for these pupils

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

you would think wouldn't you!
    sadly not![​IMG]

4. Blimey, I wouldn't be very happy about that. If they were in my class I would want to know exactly what they were doing, see the planning in advance so I knew (Infact, I think i'd want to DO the planning or at least provide the bare bones) and would want them in the classroom at least some of the time. They are YOUR children in YOUR class and you are the teacher. Your most vulnerable learners are the ones not being taught by a teacher.

It's also very very unfair if those children consistently miss their topic time for extra lit/num input.
    Im ALL for booster groups, extra input, differentiated groupings taken by TAs BUT these need to be rotated and teachers need to make sure they are still very much teaching these children.
    I'd be really unhappy about the system running in your school. As for levels and progress, it is still your responsibility. I imagine you would be asked why you dont know what those children have been learning and have nothing to do with it.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

we are now getting (from a week or two before Easter) a precis of what they are doing. Sadly this means i am now drowning in bits of paper and have even more bits and pieces to remember! They all seem to be doing different things in different orders!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Personally I would insist they stay in class but I know that sometimes the decision is out of your hands.

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Surely you should be the person identifying what intervention they need.I have a guided reading and spelling group but what to work on was identified by the CT and through standard assessments. Though I plan for these I keep the CT well informed. Also every child has a right to QFT and so should not receive all their imput from TAs no matter how good they are.