1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing process in ks2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahlouxx, Jun 28, 2017.

1. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Hi, I am new to ks2 this year but have the dreaded task of year 6 next year. I am concerned about how I am being asked to work.

In English they have a yellow English book which we work in most days and a purple book which is considered their independent book.

However, I am being asked to spend two weeks or three weeks building up this 'independent' work.
    For example they want me to write an opening of a story on one day (where one group does shared write with the teacher, one with a TA) and they whole class have it modelled beforehand, me to mark, them to edit and then spend Tuesday copying it up on their purple book. Repeat with with build up, next section and next section etC. until their purple books show a full story.

Apart from thing being very dull, how can I possibly say their purple books are independent?

Is this similar to what you do? Could you explain what you process looks like as I am struggling!!

2. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Anyone want to help me out and explain what they do?

3. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

I'm assuming that you are thinking that, because it is marked by you, the work cannot be considered independent?

In my school, we have a Maths book and a Writing book. The Writing book contains every piece of work and writing that we do in any subject that isn't Maths. For writing they do that is considered independent, we mark it with an 'I' to show this. Writing is considered independent if they have written it themselves with little support or input, even if they are all writing about the same idea or thing.

Every week (apart from this time of year!), I have my class edit and redraft a previous piece of work, to include any changes I might have suggested they make in my marking. The key to saying that it is independently edited and written (according to my interpretation of the Writing Moderation training I received this year) is to give a marking comment that makes them do the thinking and changing, instead of specifically telling them what to do. If they have to find the problem and correct it, or consider something that could be done better, it can be said to be independent work.

Over the course of the year, I withdraw the level of support my marking gives. For example, I start off by marking the line in which some punctuation is wrong, then mark a couple of lines where there might be a mistake, before just indicating the entire paragraph they need to check (or something like that, depending on the ability of a child).

Does that help any?

4. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

I would think that working this way would not enable the work to be classed as independent as the children are using your marking when writing up.

At the start of the year I always mark in much more detail and then children edit / respond to marking comments. After February though I reduce this marking to more comments on what they have achieved on the interim framework and more general comments such as "Check punctuation ..."

We use a two weekly cycle ... sometimes this will be three week cycle.
    Week one - grammar focus element linked to extended write e.g. non-finite clauses or coordinated sentence; teach main point for the extended write e.g. settings; comprehension / reading lesson. All based on class text
    Week two - extended write which will have elements taught as a success criteria focus. General plan Monday; write Tuesday - Thursday; edit stations Friday
    Week 3 - if needed ... more often when week one spreads into week 2.

Rinse and repeat.

I've used this for a number of years in Y6 and it has worked OK. This year I've used it in Y5 and again it has worked well.

5. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Thank you. That was really helpful.
    This is sort of what I thought it would look like.

I am concerned that if the whole school works this way that by year 6 there independent writing skills will be rubbish!

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

7. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Indeed.

Do most people apply this rule throughout the school?

8. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Has there been any further guidance or discussion around what is meant by work having been modelled or scaffolded? This point confuses me, as surely part of good teaching is providing children with examples and clear modelling of what is expected?
    Is it acceptable to model the same task but on a different topic e.g. Write a non-chronological report but about an animal none of the children are writing about?

lstachini likes this.
  9. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

All depends on how you mark. See guidance from STA.
    The format given to you reminds me of the narrative unit in the 2003 Year 6 exemplification. Therefore this advice is not new.