1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing poetry about coastal features with year 6...a step by step guide needed!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, May 14, 2011.

1. I put poetry off. I think that might be because I don't actually know how to teach it properly. It can't be that hard, can it. I want to make sure I teach it properly before the children leave for secondary school.
    I want to base the poetry on the coast. I have took several photographs of a local coastal area.

Can you help suggest how I achieve a good standard of poetry about the coast?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

What about using personification?
    Start with a very simple poem and then work on expanding it.
    <ol>[*]Choose something to personify e.g. the trawler, the anchor, the sea[*]Choose a verb to go with it e.g. remembers, feels like, hopes[*]Now extend - where? The anchor lying on the seabed remembers[*]Extend the verb - what? The anchor lying on the seabed remembers that day when his ship sank.[*]Continue expanding:</ol>The rusty, forlorn anchor
    Lying on the wreck-covered seabed
    Can still remember vividly
    That dreadful storm-lashed day
    When his beloved ship 'The Valiant'
    Was tossed by the huge crashing waves of the North Sea
    And sank to this watery grave.
    (Apologies for my efforts here - the children would do much better!)
    I did this with year 6 yesterday, but we started with The Chair - got some brilliant poems from them! We had all sorts of chairs - Egyptian thrones, rocking chairs - even a time-travelling chair - in some very interesting places with imaginative memories.
    If you can be prescriptive to start it will give you more confidence, but the children can then let their imaginations go. Take the children through a step at a time, rewriting as they go. Allow any changes they want to make - they may even decide they want to change their original object once they get into it and start to think of ideas.
    If I can find it, I also have a Poetry Machine which is quite prescriptive to start, but allows for development. I'll get back to you if I find it.

3. Absolutely no need to apologise, this is very creative for a Saturday evening. Thank you so much for this much input.

Personification did cross my mind (the only thing i'm confident with in poetry) however as part of SATs preparation we did look at personification and did write personification poems so didn't really want to cover this again.
    I thought about writing limericks for coastal places. Last week, we located coastal places visted on a map of the British Isles as well as the world. I'll show the children several limericks and then show them one to complete before asking to write their own. Not as good as your idea Marlin.
    My second idea was to write postcard poems based on school trip to the coast however we aren't visiting the coast until after half term therefore this will have to come after the visit.

4. marlin

I've found some resources that might guide you then with limericks.
    Interactive whiteboard:
    http://teacher.scholastic.com/writewit/poetry/poetry_engine.htm#
    (The limerick example does change if you play again)
    There are two useful PPTs in TES resources:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/taxonomySearchResults.aspx?keywords=Limericks&parametrics=60021,primary,42198
    (Please remember to leave feedback if you use them)
    Poetry Archive:
    Three Limericks by Michael Rosen - audio recording
    http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoet.do?poetId=443

Away from limericks,
    I found here a recipe for a magical day at the seaside which you could easily adapt:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/taxonomySearchResults.aspx?keywords=Limericks&parametrics=60021,primary,42198
    (this booklet is a great resource to keep for future reference)

5. marlin

I can't help feeling you need to do some really descritive poetry about the sea!
    This is a great lesson usung metaphors:
    http://www.poetryclass.net/lesson2.htm
    I've used this in the past with year 6. In the example the sea is being compared to a church. The lesson then goes on to choose another two things. You could keep the sea (or coast) and give children different things to go with it.
    You need to read the lesson plan to understand what I'm rambling about!
    The obvious metaphor poem about the sea is, of course, The Sea is a Hungry Dog. You could use this as an example.

6. marlin

7. I found the same resources. I really like both ideas, at some point, I'll do them both.
    What has your experience of limmericks been? Do children find these hard to do? I realise I'd have to provide word banks especially for lower ability children.

8. marlin

My only worry about using limmericks for this topic is that you're not using expressive language and it just seems a shame.
    However Limmericks are fun to do and Year 6 are perfectly capable of writing them.
    There are rhyming search engines on the internet such as http://www.rhymer.com/ which would be very useful for when anyone gets stuck.

9. marlin

Found the objective you can use for your lesson!
    Year 6, Term 2: T3 and T4 recognise how poets manipulate words; investigate humorous verse;

10. marlin

11. You're too good [​IMG]
    The group I take, on the whole, are very able and have a good sense of humour. Knowing them, I think they will enjoy writing limericks.
    I saw all your posts. Thank you. I really like all your ideas. I'm just going to research if there has been any submerged villages and about animals for the archaeology idea.

12. marlin

Happy to help.
    Hope all goes well [​IMG]

13. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

If you can get hold of a copy of the Mousehole Cat picture book, the metaphors and similes in there are stunning for describing the sea.