1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing out lesson objectives

Discussion in 'Music' started by manmiddle, Jun 12, 2013.

1. In our school we are told that every lesson must have a date and lesson objective written in pupil books - including music. This takes time and immediately stops the lesson from having a musical start. What do all of your schools and you do?

2. I use booklets not books and they have the learning objectives for the unit in. The OFSTED music reports are very against this, I think one of their descriptions of an outstanding lesson even said teacher didn't verbally say learning objective. I would print it, highlight the relevant parts and hand it to your SLT.

3. Unfortunately, this is SMT trying to make everything conform to a measurable standard. You just have to argue against it, until they see sense. I certainly agree that the teacher should have clear lesson objectives, but for example, in an average lesson I will have 5 or 6 of these - being that music develops so many skills, and I focus on the development of many of these skills in most lessons. It is not a case of learning and applying one skill, but of learning and applying many (would SMT expect pupils to write all of these LOs down? If not, how would you decide which ones to write down, and which ones to leave out?). I include these lesson objectives in my schemes, and within each lesson. These are explicit and inform my planning and delivery of lessons. It holds no use at all for a student to copy these down, and is an utter waste of time. I do though include them in my power-points at the beginning of each lesson (after a starter activity), so that they are used as either a very brief reminder of what we have been doing, or a quick heads up as to what we will be doing - basically, sharing the big picture. I actually don't have music books - because they get in the way of learning. We discuss music/culture/history etc, and listen and watch music. We perform. If they compose then they do it in the general note books, or on scrap paper. We do have a literacy project, which we complete on the computer over two lessons - meaning that we can get away from the imposition of having to write things down in every lesson, and this does mean that we do spend a percentage of time in each scheme focussing on written/literacy skills (but this is 2 lessons out of 10-12, in other words per academic term). It is a patently absurd claim from SMT that the writing down of date and LO is beneficial to the learning of the students - it is purely and simply a way of monitoring one aspect of the classroom. It needs to be challenged - but with logical reasons, rather than rant.

4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hear hear.

I have no books, or folders, or booklets, and although I've experimented with them from time to time, have been in the fortunate position of never having been made to have them.

The Ofsted report for music is very much in favour of musical engagement from the start, not writing LOs or spending 10 mins saying what they are.

Are you part of a faculty, or are there other depts also supporting your view, e.g. drama, PE? Surely PE don't do it! I'd argue it's a different sort of subject, and limited curriculum time means it is not a priority for student learning, though you can understand in many subjects it would be useful.

5. What a waste of time - ten years ago the obsession was for having them on the board. As has been rightly pointed out - OFSTED advice is to focus on musical engagement - write them on the board if necessary. Music is a practical subject that needs to be taught practically. Stand your ground. HOWEVER - at any point you and the children SHOULD be able to say what the LEARNING OBJECTIVE of the lesson is and how it is to be achieved - so make sure that you are clear what your lesson and scheme objectives are and that you have communicated them in some way to the students. This exercise book thing is just that . . . an exercise.