1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing Opportunities in Reception - help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher1974, Mar 4, 2012.

1. I've recently heard about a way of encouraging boys to write and I quite liked it. The idea is that you create a writing corner with photos of any men who work at the school (or who are linked to the school if you don't have any men - dads, uncles etc will do). The men should be writing in the photos - it's fairly quick and easy to set up and apparently the boys love it, especially if backed on Cars wrapping paper or something equally appealing to the boys. Of course, there's no reason why you shouldn't also create a similar area for the girls. It could work for reading too.

2. That's a really good idea especially if there is a current theme then all pics could be linked to that. Thank you!:)

3. It wasn't my idea, I hasten to add, it came from a course about boys engagement in reception!

4. Bump .... Anyone???

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Gather up blank note cards and greeting cards. Real things that they see adults write on. Diaries/calendars. Telephone message pads. Add writing instruments to a race track/car garage and they can write tickets for speeding, for winnning the race. Have a writing area linked to your topics, put prompts in. 'What noise does t-rex make?' Put a t-rex picture with a speech bubble.