1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing notes with a tablet PC vs on an IWB

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by thequillguy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Hello all

I'm looking (again) at the possibility of purchasing a tablet laptop, or slate, that will allow me to model writing/editing and annotating via my projector. My IWB simply does not work in terms of its annotations are too pixilated and I would find it easier to write by hand.

I saw several years ago some tablet laptops, but they were prohibitive (£600+)

Should I want to simply annotate over word documents/.pdf files, what would you recommend I use? Pen and paper, of course, but what about its electronic version? An I-pad might be out of the range of my budget, too. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Has someone somewhere in your school got a visualiser languishing in a cupboard somewhere? I'm wondering if this would do the trick? Either that or an old fashioned OHP!

3. thequillguy

OHP will be much better than what I've got, and I've got a visualiser (although my desk is sadly too small to happily accommodate it.) I guess that the best thing about the tablet computer with a stylus is the ease in which I can annotate webpage, resources, photographs and save them for the students.

I've seen some netbook tables which could exactly what I'm looking for (only £200-£300 or so without office.) Has anyone any experience of using them?

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Do you have a "normal" desktop PC in the room already connected to the IWB? If so why not VNC into that PC from the tablet?
    I can do this on an iPad using Splashtop remote but there are OS VNC application available for the PC.
    HTH

5. thequillguy

I do have a PC attached - this might be a useful solution, especially as taking pictures of students work is concerned.

6. thequillguy

I wonder if there might be an affordable tablet with decent functionality with a stylus, and the function to take pictures, and use Office? I doubt the school would speculate on one for me!

7. I have recently bought 2 tablets for my department an HP slate and Zoo stormI home used HP which has window7 and works brilliantly with IWB

8. thequillguy

This sounds decent - what slate was it BrownKatie? Am I continually naive to think one could be purchased for between £200-£300 pounds?

9. The tabet is the HP slate 2 recently launched and it just under 500

10. thequillguy

That looks about right. Did you pay for it yourself? Needless to say, there would be no money for our school to purchase one.