1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing moderation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by indecisive1, May 30, 2019.

1. indecisive1

indecisive1 New commenter

Best way to prepare?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

From experience ( year 6 moderation in 4 out of the past 5 years!) we have found the following makes the process run smoothly with the outcomes we want!
    1) Make sure you have a range of writing, extended pieces with clear evidence of independence, editing and improving.
    2) A tick sheet for each child -I know the guidance says you don't need to but it helps. You can then refer straight to the evidence in each genre.
    3) sticky label in the books to show where each genre can be found, again it just makes the process quicker and smoother!
    4) Evidence of a couple of examples of each genre,
    5) Be clear about the level you think each child is-go for children secure at each level and, if asked for a borderline one, be honest!
    6) Be organised! We lay all the books out in a conference room split into Greater depth, expected, working towards and don't even bother looking. We include english, topic and science books for each child with the english book on top!
    7) Our children highlight the yr 6 words automatically in writing, saves having to search through ( we had one moderator who was very strict on finding examples of yr 6 words, couldn't care less about the rest!)
    8) Look at the exemplification materials and check what is expected for each statement, what you need and what you don't!
    9) For Greater depth, not all pieces of work will provide the opportunity to show it. Make sure you have at least 3 pieces that do!
    10) remember to smile!

We've never had any problems, the moderators have always been fair if strict as to the criteria. Just see it as an opportunity to show off!

Pomza likes this.
  3. indecisive1

Thank you for your advice.

4. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Also, you can direct the attention to any children who's writing you have concerns about and get a second/third opinion.

5. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I've had one great and one terrible experience. The great one were people who were supportive and friendly. The terrible one for some reason where people who were the complete opposite. I have taught in y6 for 11 years so prepared for both in same with with plenty of writing across the curriculum and tick sheets for each child. Depends on who you get I'm afraid and I'm not a fan of the process and all it does to a person. One piece of advice though from experience of last year is to have plenty of correct examples of direct speech that is punctuated accurately. They were stickers for that.

6. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Sticklers

7. Homer_Finger_Hands

Homer_Finger_Hands New commenter

On this topic, is there any guiding principle in terms of amount of evidence needed? Not so much an exact number but a ballpark figure. First time moderated under the new curriculum - not that I can remember the old very well...

8. indecisive1

Thanks for the tips!

9. MadHatter1985

MadHatter1985 New commenter

Homer Finger: Moderators can't dictate what your evidence looks like, so the amount of evidence could vary from class to class and pupil to pupil. However, as a ball park, I would say that you would need to have around 5-6 independent pieces of a reasonable length (1-2 sides of A4 - obviously depends) - this should include some fiction and some non-fiction, different purposes and different audiences - and good range of formal/informal for greater depth.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  10. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

Hi. If your writing moderation is for the end of year 6 moderators will look at the most recent pieces of work as this is the level that the children are now working at. Make sure that you have other examples of writing incase more evidence is needed e.g. science work. Year 5 and 6 spellings can be from written work but also from spelling tests. To prepare we look at the exemplification material. We also have a staff meeting where some books are moderated and have moderation in a Phase meeting. To prepare we also have a tick sheet so that we can see what areas children are strong in and any areas we need to focus on. SLT have also looked at our books with us to ensure consistency.

For other year groups we look at books in a phase meeting and phase leaders have had a mini working party to support with moderation where books are looked at and teachers who would like support (such as NQTs or new to the school) can work alongside a more experienced teacher.

11. indecisive1

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.