1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing moderation - spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CathThompson, May 19, 2019.

1. CathThompson

CathThompson New commenter

Does anyone know if y6 children have to have evidence of accurate spelling of every word on the y6 spelling list to achieve expected standard in writing?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

No absolutely not! Can you imagine trying to shoehorn some of those into writing-yachts anyone!

We were told that evidence of correct spelling of 3/4 would be sufficient!

3. aviewfromtheridge

aviewfromtheridge New commenter

If they use them, they need to be generally accurate. IF.

4. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

However, I've heard that our county wants to see evidence of things like spelling tests where they have achieved a decent proportion of them correctly, if they haven't used any of them in their writing.

5. nancymancey

nancymancey New commenter

There needs to be evidence of some of the words spelled correctly. If there is no evidence then spelling tests can be used / asked for. As someone has commented, to try and get every single word into some writing would be near on impossible - I think I've rarely even said the word 'yacht', let alone written it down! Don't panic - if you still have time, in your next couple of pieces of work, ask the chn to select 3 or 4 words from the spelling list to use in their work and that may be enough.

6. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Being moderated this year. Was done last year too. Just been to the meeting. Spelling tests are evidence but if words are used in work they should be mostly accurate. Dictation exercise are also good evidence.