1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing moderation date writing completed?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shnorts, May 18, 2018.

1. shnorts

shnorts New commenter

Can anyone confirm if all pieces of year 6 writing have to be completed since March if you are being moderated?

2. Alenamai

Alenamai Occasional commenter

In our LA the answer is most definitely no. We can submit anything from year 5 or 6 (due to it being a 2 year programme of study). Obviously though the writing completed later in year 6 is more likely to show off a wider range of embedded skills but it can be from any curriculum area, taken from any time.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Last year they looked at writing going as far back as November-to look at progress!

4. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

What? Why? Moderation isn’t about progress!

galerider123 likes this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't know!
    Hopefully this year they will just look at their recent writing!

6. aviewfromtheridge

aviewfromtheridge New commenter

Our LA hasn't stipulated when pieces should be from. As a moderator, I'd expect pieces later in the year to be 'better' so teachers more keen to put them forward - but I'd look at anything. We didn't have any guidance at training about pieces from Y5 and I haven't been offered them in previous years - I think I might ask for clarification on that from the LA (but you would expect their writing to be stronger in Y6?).

7. flumps103

flumps103 New commenter

At our moderation update session they were clear that writing could be from any point in the year if it is good enough.

8. Rivermill

Rivermill Occasional commenter

Not at all. Don't forget you can also submit independent edits of previous work.

Alenamai and galerider123 like this.
  9. guna

guna New commenter

Is it alright if the first edits were done based on my comments, but then we allow a final edit done independently? Sorry, I am new to Year 6 and this will be the first time being moderated.

10. Rivermill

Rivermill Occasional commenter

If the work is heavily edited following structured comments then no, but you could submit a section of it that was maybe edited with peer support.

11. guna

guna New commenter

Thanks for your reply. It looks like I will have to get my Year 6s to write a few completely new pieces.

Rivermill likes this.