1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing levels - moving to Level 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hi, I am in Y4/5 and my kids are mostly at 3a, we have just done an assessed piece of writing (do 3 a year) but they don't seem to have progressed as much as possible, particularly the more able, how can I get my 3a's to be a level 4? Just looking for ideas, things their writing needs to have etc really. Thanks!

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

VCOP and Big Writing really worked for ours. Created by Ros Willson, I believe it was originally intended as a bit of a quick-fix, fire-fighting approach to writing for schools that were panicking with SATs looming. However, we use it in all year groups and it has been really effective in helping to not only improve the children's writing but help them (and us!) to see what the next steps are to progress further.

3. If you're not already doing it, I suggest Ros Wilson's VCOP strategies.
    http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/shop/by-type/books/strategies-for-immediate-impact-on-writing-standards/ this is the book I have. Lots of strategies to pull out and full lessons to teach. Or search for VCOP threads on here - loads of previous advice on this. Vocab, conjunctions, openers and punctuation. Definitely the way forward - kids can clearly see how to uplevel their own writing.

I use VCOP with Year 3 and have been in 5 and 6 in the past and used the strategies. You have to model write regularly, guided write with them, show them how to use conjunctions correctly and model their use. Also we are focussing on vocabulary development - we talk about WOW words a lot in my class and collect them for use in our writing. We also have a word of the week and they use dictionaries to define it and then we try to use it in sentences and get it into our writing / conversation during the week. The kids are really trying to include them. I try to choose a word that it will be possible for them to use in context during the week e.g. last week was dignified - we are using The Twits in Literacy so we were able to discuss whether they were dignified or not and lots of kids used undignified in their character descriptions so they were using prefixes without being told.

Sorry if you already do all this

4. Some good ideas thanks, we don't do VCOP but might have a look into doing parts or ideas from it into my lessons. We are all topic based now so it sometimes feels like I am not teaching the skills as each week varies what we are doing eg last week was non-fiction leaflets, this week is fiction adapting stories. It has really helped their enthusiasm and vocab etc but the some of the skills sometimes are left behind. I am finding it harder to know what is a 3a and what is a 4c to be honest, am going to get someone else look at my assessments - see if I am just being harsh, the cross-over isn't too clear.

5. Hi, We use Alan Peat sentences in our Big Writing activities. He also has a great book called '50 ways to Retell a Story (Cinderella) http://www.thecepress.com/#/featured. We use the activities as starters and during Guided Reading - the kids love them and are very challenged!
    Liz