1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing level descriptors.

Discussion in 'English' started by j.craigie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. I am a primary school teacher now doing supply and private tuition. One of my tutees is an extremely G&T year 6 pupil working at level 6 in maths and english. I have been developing his writing skills using Collins Aiming for level 6 which also includes level 7 descriptors and is very good, however as I don't have a lot of experience I am struggling to accurately level his work as a 6a or 7c for example. I have searched on the web for descriptors covering these levels that are detailed like the sub levelled descriptors that are available for 2cx to 5a but have been unable to find anything that doesn't contain ambiguities like 'sustains the readers interest' which is hinted at in level 2!
    Any ideas gratefully recieved.
    Jo

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You can make up your own descriptors for as, bs, cs, ds, etc, can't you? Doesn't matter what others say. There are only "whole levels" in the national curriculum.
    It sounds as though you're trying to level individual pieces of work. NC levels aren't written for that purpose. When you have a comprehensive body of written work, then you can use levelling for that one third of the English NC assessment. Just place the whole lot (or discard weak things if you need to) against the NC descriptors to see if it's 6 or 7.
    If you can't say the whole body of evidence you have justifies level 7, then you can work with the youngster on whichever areas of your evidence seem to be only in level six.