1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing joint application emails

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by edmundstavros, Oct 16, 2018.

1. edmundstavros

edmundstavros New commenter

Hi,

This is a really specific question but I'm hoping some people might have experience with it.

We are a couple about to send our first application/expression of interest messages on Search. I'm trying to construct a template email that we can adapt to different schools, but am really struggling with how to word it, as it's coming from both of us.

Should I write it in the first person singular, e.g. 'I am writing to express my interest in the position etc' and then say 'I am also writing on behalf of my partner' etc, which feels a bit weird and patriarchal.

Or should it be 'We are writing to express interest', which is a bit jarring as in the UK you would never send such a joint application.

Also if you're talking about what you can offer a school and you say 'we', doesn't it sound a bit vague and general; we obviously have different attributes we will bring to a school. We are not one person.

We have been advised to only send one email from the both of us, as our profiles are linked.

Any advice would be great! Thanks.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

We.
    It's a bit different to get used to, but it's still the way to go.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

And use your names when you're talking about specifics. "Edmund is an expert in scheduling HL and SL classes, while Stavros has led PD around the world in methods of aligning ATL."

4. edmundstavros

edmundstavros New commenter

Brilliant, thanks.

Yes on reflection 'we' is the only way to do it; I am finding it odd though! I think writing anything in relation to a personal statement is possibly my least favourite thing to do.

5. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

I sent messages through Search as a couple, but we did our own - I’m primary, he’s secondary, we have different teaching philosophies etc, so it didn’t seem right to just send one email.

What we did do, was to put a line at the end to say “I am applying alongside my partner/husband, *name*, who is also a member of Search Associates”. We sent our messages at the same time.

When applying directly to a school, we sent one email from both of us, and said “We are applying for the following positions ..... Please find attached our CVs and letters of application.” And we sent our own separate CVs and letters.

Hope this helps!

6. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Although we have not done it via Search, we have applied for jobs at the same school separately via different email addresses.

Done much like pudding 77 says.

In the body of the email we write ¨I am applying for..... My husband/wife, name, is applying for....¨

If there isn´t a post for the other, we still mention who and what and availability and attach their CV.
    Often, one section will get their act together and advertise, before another section of the school. So if there is one job and you don´t apply, often a job pops up later for the other.

Some school´s will seek to find a position for a spouse, even if one is not advertised.

On our CVs there is line which refers to the other, and what we teach.

In application forms there is often a box for dependents, and whether your spouse is a teachers and will be seeking a job