1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by triciacronin, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Individual white boards are a big hit with our reception children, we demonstrate the letter and they copy or attempt it, they love cleaning the white board etc..

2. painting
    using toy cars dipped in paint and then drive and reverse on paper
    chalking outside
    in shaving foam
    in goo on a table or in a tray
    rainbow letters - going over the letter lots of times with different colours on white paper with colouring pencils or black paper with chalk
    on dry wipe boardsin the air and then of course
    on paper with a pencil whilst sat at a table!

3. They way round the first problem is that children have access to other writing implements, surfaces, opportunities. Depends what aspect of writing you are trying to develop.
    And we sometimes photocopy whiteboard work to record what children can do. We don't do it for everything, or we'd just use paper anyway, but when a child/group has done something worth keeping a record of.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, but I don't understand this post.

5. I just meant that we don't photocopy all of our whiteboard work. If we were going to keep all that then wemight as well have worked on paper in the first place.
    We just photocopy whiteboard work that actually shows something about the child or group's learning.
    I agree, my post was very clumsily phrased, inky. I hope this is clearer. Sadly it doesn't make it any more interesting!!

6. sadika

sadika New commenter

There was a lenghy thread on here not long ago re the use of white boards ... I like them but also ensure that the children write on paper with a variety of implements.