1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing IEPs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gilly7, Oct 9, 2007.

1. We've just been told that after half term we will have to write our own IEPs for the children in our classes. Can they do this? Over half of my class are special needs including 5 School action plus and 1 statmented (so far). This is mainly the same throughout school. Iv got a 'good' class compared to some!

I dont mind writing them as they seem pretty straightforward. Im concerned of the time - we have too much to do already!! and the fact that we dont get paid for it.

Any suggestions/views?

2. We've just been told that after half term we will have to write our own IEPs for the children in our classes. Can they do this? Over half of my class are special needs including 5 School action plus and 1 statmented (so far). This is mainly the same throughout school. Iv got a 'good' class compared to some!

I dont mind writing them as they seem pretty straightforward. Im concerned of the time - we have too much to do already!! and the fact that we dont get paid for it.

Any suggestions/views?

3. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I have 10 out of 22 children in my class who require IEPs. We have to write them ourselves.

4. Really? I assumed it was the SENCO. We agree and choose new targets in the reviews, but our SENCO used to write them.

I wont complain then. I just wanted to check as I know this is going to cause some problems for other members of staff.

Do you get any additional time?
    Thank you for your reply

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

We've always written our own IEPs ... so you have been very lucky so far! I also have 10 children with special needs and 3 with statements. Out TAs check progress towards targets and make suggestions for new targets. Still takes ages!

6. avi

avi

It is best practice for primary class teachers to write IEPs under the guidance/monitoring of Senco. Teachers know the children, the SOW, the lesson styles, the potential differentiation/support etc etc.

7. I agree, Im not worried about writing them, just the time issue really. Feel bad for asking now, but thanks for opening my eyes. I can feed back to colleagues now.

8. We also write our own IEPs, but use software that makes it easy to select targets and it then generates strategies / ways forward. No extra time given but plenty of notice and shown by SENCO how to use. Took a couple of hrs at weekend but not too arduous really, but then I only had a third of my class on IEPs.

At my previous school, 17 out of 25 were on SEN list - ridiculous. Impossible to manage, so all were written as Group IEPs, with chn 'writing' their own 'I can' plan based on targets generated by me and SENCO - not really I-EPs then!! Part of the reason so many were on list was strange thinking that all under-acheiving chn needed to be on list, as they were given booster groups or extra reading. "All chn who have interventions should be on list" Erm...well I 'intervene' with all their learning to an extent so does every chd need an IEP then?!

I found it v useful to write my own IEPs. Important thing is that it is manageable, not just to write but to use in class. Difficult with more than half the class on an IEP. If I were you, I would:

question whether all these chn actually need IEPs

ask whether there is any software available to help you (e.g. IEP Writer)

group them where appropriate to assist writing so many

Good luck!

9. Forgot to say that SENCO reviews them with us, but we are expected to write the plans in preparation for meeting with SENCO.

10. jmb

jmb

SENCO here- at network meetings we are moving away from IEPs for children on School ACtion and just mapping the provision for their support. This can also count for School action plus but with the addition of extra detail and funding spent or hours with whom at what cost etc.
    This is called provision mapping.

11. Thank you all for your responses. I will raise these questions. We received 45 minutes training today.No mention of program but ill ask and will check if ch really do need plans. If we are delivering through everyday teaching do we need additional plan? I differentiate my planning, using objectives from yrs 1,2 and 3,to meet all ch.

I agree it will be more managable and have more purpose.

Thank you

12. senco does ours but understanding is that this is unusual and some say bad practice- have reasons for doing this but LA not happy with this so assume norm is teachers do own

13. I've always had to write my own IEPs, meet the parents and review the IEPs. Very little/no input from SENCO at any stage (until there's an 'issue' - then she's suddenly very involved).

14. Writing the IEPs should be the class teacher and reviewing them too. They are the person most involved with that child and therefore should be able to suggest suitable targets. This is done alongside the SENCo where possible but ultimately, the class teacher should be doing the target setting and reveiwing.
    The SENCo should be involved in suggesting/agreeing the provision for the child. They are the ones with the programmes/resources/timetables to identify the provision.

15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think sarahgrinst is just plugging her wares, she seems to have upped a few old threads and is adding links to sites selling educational software etc

16. We write our own refering to the next Pivats step.

17. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I work in a school with almost 800 kids and one SENCO! I have 6 SAP and so needing IEP's in my class, and that is pretty good for the school so we def have to do our own - else SENCO would be writing about 150!

18. I'm the SENCo in my fairly small school and full time class teacher. To ask me to write the IEPs for all of the children in the school would be crazy - not just in terms of my time but also my knowledge of the children concerned.
    My role is to co-ordinate the provision that these children can be offered.